I Need Minimun low Maintance Landscaping with no Gardiner On Rentals

4 Replies

I Have 3 Duplexes that have No Landscaping and just could use some small foundation planting.  I pay the water bill and that is too high to begin with.  The places do non  warrent a Gardiner and I don't know how to do this and keep the plantings alive and not spend a lot of money and time on them.   The Duplexes would look much better with some minimun landscaping although no one is complaining.  There is no outside faucet.  Should I put in a sprinkler systen?  How much do they cost and is there any input out there in BP land?

Low maintenance plantings, especially foundation planting, artful use of gravel, and large mulched beds.

Low maintenance plantings, to me, are those that require minimal or no trimming.  I hate hedge trimming.  Dwarf Alberta spruce  between the windows, something like a cottoneaster underneath the windows, low juniper in front.  Not what I would want to have at my own house, but reasonably attractive, tough, low water needs.

You will need to water until they get established.

we sometimes put just mulch around the patios/in the beds and just that looks nice. mulch is cheap.

Originally posted by @George P. :

we sometimes put just mulch around the patios/in the beds and just that looks nice. mulch is cheap.

You can also get two years out of mulch.  After the first year, it will look a bit faded and in need of renewal.  But if you give it a hard rake with a leaf rake, it turns over a "fresh" side and looks almost new.

Research Xeriscaping. Many solutions to fit your budget.

Here's to your success!

Rose Borges

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide