Financing first deal as a 1099 contractor

4 Replies

Question: I am trying to figure out how to finance 4+ unit MFH investment properties as a 1099 contractor thru a bank only. Currently I own a SFH with 58k equity at a LTV of 83% and have approximately 25k to put down. My yearly tax returns would not qualify.

I see this all the time -  I hear people say: "I am self employed and take a lot of write offs" - is your business profitable? if it is profitable you would have more income than you could write off.

If you want to invest in real estate long term with conventional or bank financing- you will need to decide if you will pay taxes on your income and invest in real estate or not pay taxes and not invest in real estate. In today's lending environment lenders are looking at the cash flow of the borrower and the asset.

If you prefer to not show/make an income that reports to your tax return you might consider doing owner finance deals.

Not trying to be hard on you - just stating what I see.

Travis i do not mind the straight talk. What do you think would be a good amount to claim on the returns in order to qualify for a decent amount to purchase a property worth up around the 300k-400k range? Would FHA be out of the picture? I appreciate your feedback and time.

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.
Originally posted by @Emanuel Papadakis :

Travis i do not mind the straight talk. What do you think would be a good amount to claim on the returns in order to qualify for a decent amount to purchase a property worth up around the 300k-400k range? Would FHA be out of the picture? I appreciate your feedback and time.

Have you considered just filing honest tax returns?

Hello Chris they are honest tax returns. I have 3 kids and a SFH and travel 100+ miles a day with lots of traveling expenses associated. I am in a position where i have to go with what Travis mentioned regarding finding sellers financing or just pay more taxes and write less off. Thanks for your reply