Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Leo B.
  • Investor
  • Hercules, CA
Votes |
Commercial Loan with Seller Carryback - What kind of terms today?

Leo B.
  • Investor
  • Hercules, CA
Posted Jul 19 2016, 22:32

Hi All-

I'm looking into purchasing a mid-sized apartment and in the middle of researching financing for these types of deals. Ideally, I would like to leverage my down payment as much as possible. Hence, I will be considering seller carrybacks whenever possible. For those who have purchased apartments with seller carryback, what types of loan terms were you offered? Also, what are the requirements for the borrower? I have an LLC that I would like to title the property to.

• Amortization term (ie. 30 year, 25 year, etc)?
  • Balloon term?
  • Interest rate?
  • Origination fee?
  • Min. credit score?
  • Reserve amount?
  • Down payment?
  • Assets?
  • DSCR?

My basic apartment parameters are below:

• Mid-sized apartment complex (30 to 60 units)
  • Performing building
  • Looking for minor value adds
  • Purchase price up to $1.5M
  • Midwest (IN, OH, MO)

Thanks in advance for the replies.

User Stats

Votes
Darryl Dahlen
  • Commercial Loan Officer
  • Southern Maine, ME
Votes |
  • Southern Maine, ME
Replied Jul 20 2016, 07:41

I'd make sure you are talking to lenders (banks) so you can start to get an idea if you are a person they would lend to and what they look for in a property. A lot of lenders are very finicky about allowing 2nds and have parameters on how much they'll allow since they will still require a fair amount to come from you. 

Generally speaking, a lender will not allow the seller to hold a 2nd that's larger than your down payment. Meaning, if you are required to put down 25% to close the lender will want something like 15% to come from you and permit a 10% 2nd.

User Stats

Votes
Leo B.
  • Investor
  • Hercules, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hercules, CA
Replied Jul 20 2016, 23:07

@Darryl Dahlen thanks for your input. What kind of terms are you running into with 10% seller carry?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Darryl Dahlen
  • Southern Maine, ME
Votes |
  • Southern Maine, ME
Replied Jul 21 2016, 07:34

I don't see many seller carries as most of my lenders don't allow them. I don't want to speculate as to what good terms are since I rarely see 2nds. Also, keep in mind that the lender will factor that terms of the second into the overall debt load of the property. The property must be able to service all of the debt under whatever DSCR requirement the lender has.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Mason
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Glens Falls, NY
Votes |
  • Glens Falls, NY
Replied Mar 25 2019, 15:07

Leo, Curious as to your findings over the past few years? Any luck with a seller carryback? 

User Stats

Votes
Willy Vasquez morales
  • Investor
  • Manchester, NH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manchester, NH
Replied Jan 26 2021, 09:19

How did you end ip doing with this deal?

User Stats

Votes
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Votes |
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Replied Jan 26 2021, 12:02

Not many lenders will allow this and if they say that they will, make sure that you get clarity on what that means. Every lender I have talked to about this that will allow it, will actually reduce your LTV so that the total loan amount between the 1st and 2nd still hit DSCR and 20-25% down payment.

A viable option is to have the seller leave money into the deal as an investor. You then give them an equity split of the partnership on the limited side. You can make this a 5% preferred return or whatever you wish.