2-4 families included with the Apartment & Commercial Forum

3 Replies

Not sure that I understand why 2-4 family properties and apartments are aggregated in the same forum...or why they are grouped in a Commercial forum.  I've always considered 1-4 family to be residential and 5+ to be commercial.  They are very different classes from one another...mostly financed differently, often managed differently, and are serviced by different vendors.  I see posts in the Commercial forums, go view the post, and they are largely about 2-4 family residential properties.  Just a casual observation...not a big deal.

@Mike Dymski

I've always interpreted the presence of posts concerning residential properties in the commercial, Multifamily and Apartment Investing Forum, to be an accidental occurrence - out of inexperience or ignorance - and not an "official" categorization.

There are so many commercial lenders and hard money lenders offering financing for 1-4s, so this tends to blur the lines a little bit.

I don't know that I would draw a hard line between them as it relates to the smllaer multi-units.  Cerntainly (beyond financing), there is little difference between a 4-plex and a 6 unit project.  Now, talk to me about 50+ units vs a 4-plex, and then you see where the commercial units separate from the rest as they add different issues.

Originally posted by @Roy N. :

@Mike Dymski

I've always interpreted the presence of posts concerning residential properties in the commercial, Multifamily and Apartment Investing Forum, to be an accidental occurrence - out of inexperience or ignorance - and not an "official" categorization.

Well said.  The forum is properly defined as follows:

"The multi-family investing forum is for the discussion of commercial multi-family and apartment investing. No matter what your questions are, if they concern properties with 5 or more units, this is the place to ask them."

There are not a ton of members interested in commercial and the ones that are interested are largely not looking for advice, they are looking for business or investors; so, it's not too big of a deal.  Other apartment or commercial forums are likely going to pop up somewhere that cater to those investors.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.