2-4 families included with the Apartment & Commercial Forum

3 Replies

Not sure that I understand why 2-4 family properties and apartments are aggregated in the same forum...or why they are grouped in a Commercial forum.  I've always considered 1-4 family to be residential and 5+ to be commercial.  They are very different classes from one another...mostly financed differently, often managed differently, and are serviced by different vendors.  I see posts in the Commercial forums, go view the post, and they are largely about 2-4 family residential properties.  Just a casual observation...not a big deal.

@Mike Dymski

I've always interpreted the presence of posts concerning residential properties in the commercial, Multifamily and Apartment Investing Forum, to be an accidental occurrence - out of inexperience or ignorance - and not an "official" categorization.

1(506) 471-4126

There are so many commercial lenders and hard money lenders offering financing for 1-4s, so this tends to blur the lines a little bit.

I don't know that I would draw a hard line between them as it relates to the smllaer multi-units.  Cerntainly (beyond financing), there is little difference between a 4-plex and a 6 unit project.  Now, talk to me about 50+ units vs a 4-plex, and then you see where the commercial units separate from the rest as they add different issues.

Originally posted by @Roy N. :

@Mike Dymski

I've always interpreted the presence of posts concerning residential properties in the commercial, Multifamily and Apartment Investing Forum, to be an accidental occurrence - out of inexperience or ignorance - and not an "official" categorization.

Well said.  The forum is properly defined as follows:

"The multi-family investing forum is for the discussion of commercial multi-family and apartment investing. No matter what your questions are, if they concern properties with 5 or more units, this is the place to ask them."

There are not a ton of members interested in commercial and the ones that are interested are largely not looking for advice, they are looking for business or investors; so, it's not too big of a deal.  Other apartment or commercial forums are likely going to pop up somewhere that cater to those investors.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.