• Financial Advisor
  • Findlay, OH
Votes |
Help Me Analyze this Apartment

Drew Steinman
  • Financial Advisor
  • Findlay, OH
Posted Mar 7 2018, 17:00

I know the owner of a 12 unit apartment and have approached him about selling it to me. Would love it if anyone would help me with what they think it's worth. Here are the details:

Where: Toledo, OH (near University of Toledo)
Rent Class: I would classify it as a C- to D+ area
Size: 8832 Sq Ft

Year Built: 1968

Rents at 100% Occupancy: $58,500 (7 1BRs at $375/month and 5 2 BRs at $450/month).

2017 Rents: $57,416

2017 Gas Exp: $6034 (Boiler heating, paid my landlord)

2017 Electric: $1486 (For hallways/common area)

2017 Water: $4374 (Not sub-metered, paid by landlord)

2017 Trash: $1600

2017 Real Estate Taxes: $5900

2018 Insurance : $2600

Other Info:

- The University now requires 2nd year students to live on campus (previous just Freshmen did) so this has pushed down student rents for the area.

-It is a low rent area. I think rents may be $50-$100/month under market after factoring in the landlord paying water and gas. It is difficult to compare newer/better apartments in the area vs this one so I could be wrong on this.

-Boiler heating is original to the property so this is a potentially large expense.

-Large cap-ex for updating electrical which reduced insurance to $2600 for 2018.

-2 units are renovated pretty nicely but I'm guessing the rest are in rough shape.

-I do have a property manager with experience who I believe can manage the property better however I don't know if the market will allow higher rents with improvements. I currently have 4 single family rentals so this would be my first apartment.

-I have a good relationship with the property owner and could potentially get seller financing on the down payment and do commercial financing for the rest.

Questions I have:

-What should I use as a conservative expense ratio for an older/lower rent apartments like this? What should the NOI be on this?

-How would you estimate potential for rent increases? My property manager has given me an estimate. I've looked at rents in the area but other apartments are in better condition and better locations and I'm unsure how much to adjust for these differences.

-What would you estimate for a purchase price?

Let me know any questions you have and I'll try to answer as best as I can. Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...