• Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Mac or not to Mac !?

Jonathan Trimboli
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Aug 18 2019, 15:58

I’m currently starting up my own commercial and residential real estate investing company and trying to decide to go with Mac or not. Anyone have any insight or recommendations or what type of computer software works better for the real estate investing world or if it even matters.

Account Closed
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Sep 24 2019, 14:23

@Jonathan Trimboli

I don't think it matters too much. All of the software I use is cloud based, with exception of some video editing stuff I plan to pick up (for which there are good options on both PC and Mac).

I have a MacBook Pro. Costco has the current gen model on sale right now for $1400, pretty good deal. I think I bummed a student discount off a friend to get mine last summer. It's got better build quality, and the UI is a lot cleaner- I think the operating system is a lot less bloated than windows 10 and allows the computer to perform better than it's peers with similar processors & memory. 

It's overkill though. A $500 laptop with and i5, 8gb of RAM, and a solid state drive can make you a millionaire too, lol. 

User Stats

Votes
Clayton Boyle
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Sep 24 2019, 14:42

For laptops, I prefer Macs. Their build quality is considerably better than other manufacturers. I do prefer the 2015 Macbooks to the more recent models though, due to the magsafe power connector, better keyboard, display ports and older style USB ports. If you really need to run windows, you have the option of running Windows 10 on any relatively modern Macbook using software called Parallels, which is an amazing program. I seamlessly switch between my Mac and Windows desktops all the time, and really consider it the best of both worlds. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Derek Carroll
  • Syndicator and Fund Manager
  • Victor, NY
Votes |
  • Syndicator and Fund Manager
  • Victor, NY
Replied Sep 24 2019, 16:19

@Jonathan Trimboli

I switched to a Mac about 10 years ago. Before I switched I thought that there was no way I would ever consider a Mac and that they weren’t real computers. I love the hardware though so I gave it a shot. At this point I would never consider anything different. If you ever really need to run windows you can still do it on your Mac.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Davis
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Sep 24 2019, 16:36

Go Mac.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Trimboli
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 24 2019, 16:44

@Brad Davis yeah i went with a MacBook Pro with the i9

User Stats

Votes
Eric Ingram
  • Developer
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Durham, NC
Replied Sep 24 2019, 16:46

@Jonathan Trimboli. MacBook all the way. I purchase a pro back in 2011 and it’s still running solid with only updates to SSD and max to 16GB memory. I run virtual desktop with Windows OS but nowadays rarely is it since most apps are cloud based google business suite or others.

Honestly I might not ever need another machine.

User Stats

Votes
Mack Marchand
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Sep 24 2019, 20:20

@Jonathan Trimboli Apple makes a great product for its intended use. It is meant to always power on and just simply work for the average user. Simple email, browsing, surfing etc. However, if you are an everyday Windows/PC user, you will find yourself googling how to do certain things but it’s not hard to learn at all. Mac Books are able to handle most modern applications just fine like PC’s since they make up a decent amount of the market share, companies make sure they are supported. They aren’t geared for any type of real heavy processing like CAD or video editing but it will suit you just fine. One note to add, make sure you buy the computer with intent to make it future-proof because you can’t add hardware if needed because everything is soldered. In contrast, most PC’s are capable of opening up the hood and adding more hardware resources if needed for more resource-intensive purposes. I think you will be happy with a Mac in this use case. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mack Marchand
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied Sep 24 2019, 20:26

@Jonathan Trimboli Great choice for you! It would start to become expensive if you are talking about staffing an office with Apple devices but they are great for everyday use.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Brusich
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Votes |
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Replied Sep 25 2019, 04:25

@John K. I'm at the point where I feel this way about Android and as a result was thinking of migrating to iOS, Mac combo. My issue is my workflow is so ingrained in me I'm worried it'll be counterproductive to switch.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 25 2019, 05:01

HP.

User Stats

Votes
Ron Patton
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Sep 25 2019, 05:58

If you can wait for the new version of the MacBook Pro. I’ve used MacBooks for years and was and still am a huge Windows operating system fan but the simplicity and seamless ness of the Mac operating system is second to none. My only gripe is the keyboard with the current generation model. It’s been widely reported and covered as the worst keyboard on any MacBook. A lot of people have had issues with keys sticking in place (myself included).

Spend the money on them I wholeheartedly believe it’s worth the price. I got seven years out of my old MacBook and didn’t need to upgrade, it was just a want and my computer was still running at A- quality. When I was using a windows pc (Dell, HP, 1 custom built) I was buying a new computer once every year or so or reformatting hard drives because of some malware. I’ve never once had an issue with my MacBook. Of course there are some instances where you still need access to a windows operating system. Zero issue there, you can install a copy of Windows operating system on your Mac hardware with a little bit of time.

Customer service is A1!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Benjamins
  • Lender
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 25 2019, 08:18

@Jonathan Trimboli

Mac all day!!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 25 2019, 08:24

@John K. I am going to double down on your comments here.

I have a very basic MacBook Pro that is still running strong after 10 years! I replaced the battery twice, but I also use it everyday and like John, I’ve had ZERO issues.

It has traveled the world with me and has the scars to show it. It is my battle axe that deserves a Vikings funeral when it finally dies.

My recommendation is go with the most basic Mac you can. I’m not a fan of the new gadgets they have like that Touch Bar... just keep it simple and forget about virus updates interrupting your day.

User Stats

Votes
Sterling Chapman
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Sep 25 2019, 09:36

@Chris Mason interesting

User Stats

Votes
Tim Crosby
  • Winter Haven, FL
Votes |
  • Winter Haven, FL
Replied Sep 25 2019, 09:59

@Jonathan Trimboli.. really, for what you want to do, it doesnt matter all that much. The main benefit to Mac is that you don't have to worry about viruses and those sorts of things as much. However, if you're asking which is best long term, 100% it has to be PC. I'll give you three major reasons:

1) Price. Mac is expensive by nature. Why pay extra for a brand name when the alternative is just as good and less expensive.

2) Compatibility. When you own a Mac, you have to make sure everything is compatible. The PC market is so huge, every company that isn't Apple makes a PC port for their product!

3) Upgrades. No matter what devide you buy, eventually you will need to update it. With a PC, specifically a desktop tower, you can always upgrade any outdated piece for minimal costs. With Macs, you either have to pay them to upgrade it or buy a new one. Yes, you can do it yourself, but if you're not careful you will trigger the tampering systems and your computer will **** down completely.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Rush
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Augusta, GA
Replied Sep 25 2019, 10:12

Mac all the way! That is all that I use and I bought everyone else in the office one too. They are great easy to use computers. If you haven't used one before it might take you a week to get used to it but once you do you will never go back. If you have an iPhone or another apple product they work together so well. Get a Mac!

As for the software side, most software products are online now so it does not matter what type of computer you use 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Beech
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maryville, TN
Replied Sep 25 2019, 10:41

@Jonathan Trimboli

Almost every Windows program or application is available to Macs so as far as people being “more familiar” with Windows programs is no longer applicable. Macs perform better, last longer and basically update on their own.

Up until about 10 years ago, I never used Mac until I got sick of my desktop and then fed up with my laptop and then my wife’s laptop. I decided to spend the money and I’ve owned one computer for the last 10 years. Never had an issue.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 25 2019, 12:26

@Jonathan Trimboli I’d say it has almost 0% effect on a real estate investing business what type of computer you use. Lots of successful investors that I know barely know how to turn theirs on.

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Carrillo
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Sep 25 2019, 15:41

@Jonathan Trimboli

Personally I went with the Mac air to mitigate having to deal with viruses! I save everything in the cloud to prevent losing anything. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 26 2019, 22:39

Definitely MAC! Once you go Mac, you will never go back :D

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Gayden
Pro Member
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Sep 26 2019, 23:35

@Josh C.

I am still using my Windows 7 laptop from 2010. I think many people need to justify wasting hundreds or even thousands of dollars more for a computer when they buy a Mac so they attempt to tear down windows or android based systems.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Votes |
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Replied Sep 27 2019, 07:40

It makes no difference today. Everything is very compatible today. 10-15 years ago there was a bit of a hurdle with some programs/software, but now I find that there isn't much of a difference. 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Sterling Chapman
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Sep 28 2019, 08:03

Ended up getting a 15 in MacBook Pro with the i7 Processor and love it!