Duplex and four-plex builders in Houston, TX

16 Replies

I want to build rental homes in Houston, TX on a lot I own.  Duplex or four-plex will be ideal. 4 or 5 bedrooms with 2.5 or 3 bathrooms each.  This will be section 8 housing rentals as they get a premium rental here.  Any recommendations for builders that have such experience and work in this area are appreciated.  Also, if anyone has any experience with shipping container homes for duplex build outs I appreciate the feedback on them and how they are valued for loan and resale purposes?  Thank you in advance!

@Daniel Lioz what is the rent payment on 1,2,3 or 4 bedrooms for section 8 in Houston? I looked in Walker county and they don't pay enough to make the mortgage. The only halfway decent rent is on the 1's at $650, even still thats hard to pay the note with.

Originally posted by @Charley C. :

@Daniel Lioz what is the rent payment on 1,2,3 or 4 bedrooms for section 8 in Houston?   I looked in Walker county and they don't pay enough to make the mortgage. The only halfway decent rent is on the 1's at $650, even still thats hard to pay the note with.

1 BR is $908, 2 BR $1,096, 3 BR $1,485, 4 BR $1,878

@Daniel Lioz One thing to be mindful of if going larger than a Duplex is off street parking. The minimum lot size I believe is 3500 sq ft for new plats. However, there are hundreds, if not thousands of lots smaller than that currently available for sale on which you can build but have to abide by new development ordinances. Variances are granted for hardships not brought on by developer hardship or loss of revenue.

If you're going for the size units that you describe, you will likely need multiple lots. I say this because your construction cost/sf goes up as the structure gets taller and you are required to provide off street parking kicks at a rate of 2 spots for each single family dwelling unit, so a 4-plex will require 8 spots (avg parking spot is 9x18 = 162 sq. ft. x 8 = 1,296 sq. ft.). Most of the new infill builds put a 2 car garage on the ground floor and do vertical townhouses with a party wall to be a side by side duplex. Not trying to derail your vision here, personally I like where you're going with it, but want to make you aware of the very real obstacles you will face inside of 1002 Washington Avenue when attempting to get permits. Do your due diligence, get creative on site plans, and most importantly buy right on the land so the rest of the numbers can be adjusted to make your plan profitable.

Originally posted by @Adam D Rinehart :

@Daniel Lioz I drove past this shipping container house today in 3rd Ward. It's the only one I recall seeing in Houston so far.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/man-building-a-3-story-shipping-container-home-in-third-ward/285-530060906

"This post has at least one report against it" .   Mine?  Or the original?  Any mods able to chime in?

Thank you all for the feedback!

@Cody L. I spoke to another guy who built a 3 story by 45 from containers, he wants to mass produce duplexes that style, but he was not very responsive.

@Adam D Rinehart I am looking at some lots in the area that are about 7.5K to 11K sq feet, so the parking should be pretty easy to accommodate, plus if they have common area, no need for have separate backyards, thus room for parking...plus I even thought to buy a really cheap lot nearby and just use it as a parking lot (either just gravel it or pave it)...thus have private parking for the 2 or 4plexes..as long as it is dedicated parking for those residence it is covered :)

@Ashley Jeffries Just sent you a connection request.

@Daniel Lioz - 5 bedroom duplex or quad? I like the thought process, but I the H&B use of a property like that will probably always be Section 8

Any residential builder can likely GC a duplex/quad build. Making the numbers work and overcoming zoning issues is probably the bigger hurdle.

@Ashley Jeffries I bought land by downtown houston and I'd like to connect with a reputable duplex builder to help me determine all requirements and estimated costs based on my design and if we can come to an agreement then I'd like to hire them.

I hear you have a contact. Can you please connect me?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here