Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Ben Hunt
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin Texas
Votes |
Should you use a real-estate agent for multi-family properties?

Ben Hunt
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin Texas
Posted Feb 22 2020, 07:32

Hello BiggerPockets!

There's a small supply of MF properties, specifically 4-plexes, in the area that I'm looking in and I don't see much value-add from a buyers agent. I plan on house hacking a 4-plex that has some value-add potential.

I'm currently set up on the MLS for a feed of 3 & 4 plex properties, but there's hardly anything on there, just a few listings.
In addition, everything that I've seen on the MLS, I've seen on other sites like Realtor/Zillow/Craigslist and etc.

So, from this, there's not much to manage in terms of property searching. I'm already resorting to an off-market search, so especially in this case, would an agent provide any extra value and 3-6% of the sale value at that?

Also, this would be for my first purchase. I wouldn't want to use one solely because "you're a newbie", but if there's actual value-add that can be had. 

Questions:

1. Is there enough value-add from a buyers agent in this circumstance to warrant the 6% cost. (or 3% after split)
  2. What would I have to now manage if I didn't go with an agent? What would the difficulty be in making an offer myself?

Please let me know!

Best,

Ben

Loading replies...