Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Workman
  • Contractor
  • Bean Station, TN
Votes |
Am I too late to the game to start speculatively building?

Jacob Workman
  • Contractor
  • Bean Station, TN
Posted Jan 13 2022, 08:00

What's your thoughts? Am I too late to speculatively build homes. To give you a backstory, my name is Jacob. I've been involved in real estate over the past 12 years in various different ways. I've owned land, flipped land, owned rental units, and New home construction. From about 2009 to 2011, We were able to build three spec homes.  The first two homes we sold relatively quickly, with the last one sitting on the market for two years. After sitting on the market for two years, I was newly married, and decided to just go ahead and move in at myself. This is how I gained my first rental property, by renting out the previous property that my wife and I had started our marriage off in.  since my wife and I had decided to move into our last spec home we built. we decided to get a HELOC on the property to buy my existing partner out his part of the business. Although it was extremely lucrative, we had decided to take our life in a different direction. This lead us to selling our property, and also selling our rental units. Fast forward to 2017 we decided that we wanted to get into laundromats. After four years of owning two laundromats, we have decided that real estate was a much better fit for us. Real estate checks all the boxes that we want to check. Enough backstory, and back to the original question do you think it's too late to start building spec homes? For my previous projects and projects in the future I was the general contractor. I have my license through the state of Tennessee and I am able to build up to four unit home with my license. My overall goal is to build single-family homes to fund my cash on hand, and use my Lassens to build multi family units to hold. The bank that I work with only requires me to put 20% down of property purchase price and will fund the rest depending on appraisal estimated value.  i've pretty much started the process to get started back into the industry. I just wanted to get on BiggerPockets and reach out to the community and to see what other people are doing in their areas. 

Loading replies...