Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes

California ADU question with multifamily zoning

Steve Hungerford
Posted Jun 19 2022, 15:51

I have an old (1930) house, it has Residential multifamily 6 zoning. That means every 6,000 square feet only one multifamily unit. Since the lot is 10,555 square feet there is nothing more than one unit allowed under the multifamily zoning. If I had Residential zoning because of SB-9 more could be allowed on the lot, plus a lot split. FYI the lot used to be zoned commercial when it was bought. So the county has kind of devalued things in my opinion because of zoning changes.

From the County Website:

If a multifamily or qualifying mixed-use building exists or is planned for this parcel, the following ADU's are allowed: Detached ADU's: At least one and up to two detached ADUs, 800-1200 sf dependent on FAR and lot coverage.

If a single family dwelling exists or is planned for this parcel, an ADU and JADU may be allowed, subject to approval for a non conforming use.

Even though only one unit is allowed and a single family exists it seems we can't do 2 detached ADUs like what would be allowed with a multifamily building ? I guess that would be one apartment or one condo ? 

If they scrape the house off and put a condo or whatever qualifies as multifamily, could they then put 2 detached ADUs ?

I know a detached ADU plus an JADU could be allowed now but that is not as desirable as the JADU has to be under 500 square feet and attached.

Thanks

Loading replies...