• San Bernardino, CA
Votes |
Asked to Develop 80 Units on Religious Property

David Friedman
  • Property Manager
  • San Bernardino, CA
Posted Jul 4 2022, 09:27

Hello BP,

I've been asked by a religious organization that owns several acres of land to help them develop an 80+ unit, 55+ community.

I've never developed on "Tax Exempt" religious property before and I'm not sure the best way to go about this.

The goal of the religious organization is to provide income to their organization from the rent and thus creating long-term sustainability for their organization. At the same time, they want to provide housing opportunities for their community.

They are looking to us to bring capital, construction financing, construction company (Basically everything).

Some questions I have for BP:

1. Is the best vehicle for this partnership going to be a JV?

2. If they do not want to split off the land from their place of worship, will that be an issue? I'm guessing the lender and investors will want this as its own separate parcel. (This one is really stumping me).

3. If the religious organization has some capital, but not a lot, and you are expected to bring the rest of the equity as well as everything else that comes with developing, what is a fair split to bring our development skills and resources to the table? Fees? Equity? How much?

4. From a moral viewpoint, I'm not sure if I want to own equity with a religious organization. I don't think I have it in me to foreclose or sue them unless they were extremely malicious in their actions towards me.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Loading replies...