Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Sandra S bello
Votes |
Help with Costs for ADU in San Diego, Ca

Sandra S bello
Posted Jan 14 2021, 23:44

I have a property with a large lot in East San Diego. SFH go for about $300 a SF in my area. Homes with ADU's are not getting appraised as the ADU being worth $300 a SF, more like its an amenity. So even though builders are charging $300 a SF to build, the value add is very minimal and its a negative investment out the gate if you sell property.

Since I am keeping my home long term as a rental, and I could probably get $1500-$2000 for a 1000 SF ADU, I was looking into options for building. All the builders I have contacted and contractors are quoting about $250k to $300k. I think that is nuts to be honest when looking at ROI. At the end of the day, this is an investment. Even if we make $2k net in month in rent (after accounting for property tax increases), to be negative out the get go doesn't seem too smart to me.

Then I read here that some people go the Owner builder route and sub it out. Anyone here successful with that in San Diego and willing to share resources? Anything will help, whether its a checklist of costs, subs you used, things to keep in mind, etc. We have already looked at the county and preapproved plans and one actually might work perfectly for the space and just needs an architect to review and do the site plan, Title 24, etc....

We have talked to the county and are under County Jurisdiction, and have plenty of room for the ADU in a newly excavated part of the property.

Thank you all in advance for any advice or help in San Diego you can give!

Loading replies...