Multifamily Builder Reccomendations in Northern Virginia

5 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets Family!

I am looking to build a multi family unit (duplex, triplex, or fourplex), in the Northern Virginia area. I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience doing this. If so, I would greatly any recommendations on reputable builders to use. Additionally, if you have any advice you feel is pertinent as I attempt to undertake this endeavor I would appreciate it any wisdom you can share. Thanks in advance for everyone’s help!

Ian

I don't have any recommendations aside from knowing that there aren't too many multifamily units in our area. Something to do with zoning probably. You can literally count on redfin or zillow how many multifamilies there are in northern virginia. But I will be following this thread to find out more. Good luck! 

Aj, thank you for the insight. As I have looked it has become painfully obvious that there are not many multifamily units available. However, where there is a will, there is a way! I'm hoping someone might be aware of a possible builder.  Thanks for your input!

Zoning does not allow the building of multifamily anywhere in the DC area other than DC proper, and even there it is still nearly impossible to do...not entirely, there have been a handful in certain zoning districts. The only county in the metro area even with discussions to allow it is Montgomery County MD.....and any zoning change in the event discussions become serious would be over a decade out. As a member of Realtors lobbying arm, Im heavily involved in those discussions, and have been for several years now, and they are likely to go no where when all is said an done. 

Russell, thank you for the insight. The area certainly does seem to have strict laws dealing with multifamily properties. Based off of your comment if multifamily zoning opportunities do come up, do you see more in MD than in Northern Virginia?

Originally posted by @Ian Hurdle:

Russell, thank you for the insight. The area certainly does seem to have strict laws dealing with multifamily properties. Based off of your comment if multifamily zoning opportunities do come up, do you see more in MD than in Northern Virginia?

The only County even having discussions on a change is Montgomery County MD. Those conversations are likely to go no where though as even conversations about them have prompted citizens to organize to stop even talks of it.