Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Lincoln Harris
Votes |
110 acres of prime land. Should I sell now, wait or ?

Lincoln Harris
Posted Apr 26 2022, 15:41

110 acres of vacant land, 1 mile of Hwy 287 frontage.  New housing development under construction directly across the highway. Currently not zoned for anything besides agriculture.  Fort Worth city limits is outside my Southern property line / fence and in planning to be zoned as residential development land soon.  Neighbouring properties have been significantly developed &/or are currently being developed.

I have received numerous offers.  Should I sell today while outside the city limits with fewer restrictions for a developer or use a two party ground lease with commercial prior to the establishment of the residential zoning.  Or wait a year until the land becomes part of the city and then sell?  Or possibly something else?

Just joined!  Appreciate any and all feedback.  

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sofia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 26 2022, 19:28

There's a reason you are getting offers.  Check and see if the annexation may be in the process.  If so, price of poker just went up.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Le
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 26 2022, 19:50

If you're in no rush, work on getting the property rezoned yourself and increase the value. Get utilities to the property to increase it even more. The closer you get it to be shovel ready the more you'll be able to sell it for.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Paul H.
  • Developer
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied Apr 26 2022, 20:27

Lincoln,

This is something that my company and I do all the time... we work with land owners to get projects annexed, papered, improved and sometimes we go vertical or we sell to a national builder.  Every point along that route has a different lift in terms of value creation.  Your best bet would be to do a little research and see if your in the Fort Worth official plan and if you qualify as a good candidate for annexation.  Selling before getting a determination on being a candidate for annexation and rezoning at the same time would be short changing yourself significant value.

I'm currently doing three annexation and rezoning projects of about 2000 acres.  So if you need a little bit of help or guidance, please let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 27 2022, 06:52

Keep it and make passive income on it forever! This is something you can pass to your kids and grandkids. Maybe partner with a developer to take on a development, or build a few units to rent. The longer you wait the more equity you will see

Account Closed
  • pennsylvania
Votes |
  • pennsylvania
Replied Apr 27 2022, 07:17

Re-read @Paul H., above. Research the cost of building lots in surrounding developments to see what they are going for. This will give you an idea of how much a land developer would make on your property. I would develop the land to individual, shovel ready lots yourself or hire/partner with someone to do it—you’d be the equity partner. 

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Apr 27 2022, 07:31

@Lincoln Harris You have a few options and some are better than the others. I'd consider selling if the time is right for you. Below is an article from my local news outlet. It shows you what's happening in my market and based on the details you provided it sounds VERY similar. Properties like yours are selling for millions of dollars right now. 

https://www.ibj.com/articles/i...

PS: Unless you have real estate development experience I wouldn't recommend development. It's time consuming work and harder than people may lead you to believe. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul H.
  • Developer
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied May 12 2022, 10:07
Quote from @Account Closed:

Re-read @Paul H., above. Research the cost of building lots in surrounding developments to see what they are going for. This will give you an idea of how much a land developer would make on your property. I would develop the land to individual, shovel ready lots yourself or hire/partner with someone to do it—you’d be the equity partner. 

I agree with @Blaise, getting the lots papered up or even one step further as shovel ready lots will be well worth the effort. You can hold the land while the developer goes through the process with the planning department, and all the hearings. Your contribution is holding the land for the process and being flexible with the developer as he jumps through the hoops.  Get paid for your land contribution to the deal and then split the profits on the backend. Simple and Clean

User Stats

Votes
Eric Robb
  • Grapevine, TX
Votes |
  • Grapevine, TX
Replied May 19 2022, 12:17

I have some ideas and could be interested in a joint venture.  We build tiny homes and modular buildings and I know there are a lot of mobile home lots in that area.  Would be interested in sales lot, building small nice tiny home or Senior housing, many options and only a few acres required.  

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 20 2022, 03:08

@Lincoln Harris It really depends on what your goals are. Those who sell land they own to developers are looking for cash sales in their situations most of the time. Since the parcel of land is only zoned for agriculture, you'll have to rezone it if you want to see for other uses such as commercial or residential which does take time. If you get a good offer for the piece of land from a developer and you're in a position to sell, you may just want to take it with the market being how it is now. If you wait a year, you're not sure what the market will be then. Though, it's up to you. Hope that helps. Best of luck with your decision! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 9 2022, 17:52
Quote from @Paul H.:

Lincoln,

This is something that my company and I do all the time... we work with land owners to get projects annexed, papered, improved and sometimes we go vertical or we sell to a national builder.  Every point along that route has a different lift in terms of value creation.  Your best bet would be to do a little research and see if your in the Fort Worth official plan and if you qualify as a good candidate for annexation.  Selling before getting a determination on being a candidate for annexation and rezoning at the same time would be short changing yourself significant value.

I'm currently doing three annexation and rezoning projects of about 2000 acres.  So if you need a little bit of help or guidance, please let me know.

I have a property under contract and am going through the rezoning process now with the County. The nearby city is interested in considering an annexation. I am hesitant because of potential future restrictions and higher taxes down the road with the city vs county... thoughts? Also, and tips to convince the county to let me rezone are appreciated! 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Dec 9 2022, 19:02
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Keep it and make passive income on it forever! This is something you can pass to your kids and grandkids. Maybe partner with a developer to take on a development, or build a few units to rent. The longer you wait the more equity you will see

I never understood the partnering with developer route.. Even though as a developer I would like that sometimes.. but for the land owner your taking away your long term cap gains or ability to 1031 and turning it into ordinary income. and the delta between a bulk sale and creating inventory usually is not great enough to partner with builder and take on the risk.. just sell 1031 and then buy your rental income property.  Just sayin.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Blosser
  • Griffin, GA
Votes |
  • Griffin, GA
Replied Feb 21 2023, 14:08
Quote from @Paul H.:

Lincoln,

Hey Paul, I would definitely love to connect. I am a real estate broker in Georgia with development experience and had a client ask to partner with me to help develop his property and sell it. I've never done this as a partner before and have some questions on structure and guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will private message you. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes