Votes
Tristram Coffin
Pro Member
Votes |
Looking to build a duplex in back yard in a rm1-2, rm1-3 zoning

Tristram Coffin
Pro Member
Posted May 9 2022, 18:49

I am trying to  figure out what the law means for a rm1-2, rm1-3 zoning in San Diego. I have a 900 sq ft home with a 300 sqft detached garage. My lot is 5000 sqft and trying to figure out what would be the best bang for my buck. I have a yard that is 18 ft wide from fence to side of garage and almost 60 ft to the back side of my home. I do want to leave some yard for my home so not looking to use the whole back yard but the info online isn't helping much. I am looking for some help. Id like to build an adu in the back and in the future make the garage into a adu. My preference would be to knock down the garage and build a duplex. I am not sure if that is possible due to the wall of the garage is on my property line. If you guys could wither give me guidance or a recommendation on who to call, I would appreciate it! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 9 2022, 19:47

Page 3 of link https://docs.sandiego.gov/muni...

"The RM zones are differentiated based on the uses allowed and the permitted

density as follows:

(1) The following zones permit lower density multiple dwelling units with some characteristics of single dwelling units:

• RM-1-1 permits a maximum density of 1 dwelling unit for each 3,000 square feet of lot area

• RM-1-2 permits a maximum density of 1 dwelling unit for each 2,500 square feet of lot area

• RM-1-3 permits a maximum density of 1 dwelling unit for each 2,000 square feet of lot area"

You should be fine with 1-2 and 1-3. Personally, I would not knock down a pre-existing structure just to replace it with another. If it's already detached, that's the path of least resistance right there. Run some utilities, throw up some sheet rock and you've got yourself a detached studio with nice cash flow. The cash and time you will have to spend to build a duplex could easily be deployed elsewhere for better returns. 

User Stats

Votes
Colin L.
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 10 2022, 12:11

Jonathan is correct in regards to density for your property. If it is RM-1-2 then a 5,000 SF lot will allow for 2 Dwelling Units (5,000 SF lot area / 2,500 SF per unit). However ADU's are counted separately and do not count against your max density.

-You can knock down the garage and build an ADU in the same location regardless of setbacks.

-Since your property is in a multi-family zone, you can convert the garage to an ADU and build 2 additional detached ADU's on the property.

This is the section you want to read to get up to speed on ADU's:

https://docs.sandiego.gov/muni...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes