Account Closed
  • Wisconsin
Votes |
Questions for A/C unit installation

Account Closed
  • Wisconsin
Posted May 20 2022, 08:59

Hey Biggerpockets! 

I recently purchased a property that is a side-by-side duplex. Now one of the sides has an Air Conditioning unit installed, and the other side doesn't. There are two HVAC units for both sides of the property, and I'm curious to know if I can essentially connect that one A/C unit two both sides of the property???? 

User Stats

Votes
Josh Myrick
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Asheville, NC
Replied May 20 2022, 13:26

It depends...

Is there ducting in the other unit? If not invest in a mini split system. You would have a separate air handler in each unit though I do not believe you could connect one condenser to two air handlers. My suggestion is do it right the first time. Whether that is install a mini split system or buy a new condenser for the other unit. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Strauss
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied May 21 2022, 22:44

I agree with Josh. I just bought a place that had one mini split and added 3 more for each room, they all have AC/Heat. They are great, it ran me with units and installed $1500 each, but I'll have them for 15+ years. I was looking a single HVAC, but this made more sense and was a bit cheaper. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes