Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes

Lvp or laminate, help.

Posted May 25 2022, 21:00

I’m torn between a laminate that is not waterproof, but I love the color and it has a lifetime warranty. Also, only $1.29 sq ft on sale, I figure I can purchase a padding/moisture barrier and it would be fine. Or, I can purchase lifelroof at almost $4 sq ft but I’d still want to purchase a waterproof barrier in case water falls through the planks. It’s going over hardwood floors that are In Great condition, I’d like to protect them should I decide to sell later down the line. What are your opinions on the laminate vs lvp? I’d like it to be durable because we will allows dogs but at the same time, this is my first rental. I’m not sure how the tenant is going to care for it. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied May 26 2022, 04:11

I always prefer LVP over laminate. LVP generally looks much better and is easy to remove without seriously damaging the floor below. 

Also, if you have Floor & Decor near you go check out their LVP products. I found the product quality was much higher than the options at the Big Box home improvement stores, with Floor & Decor's prices still being competitive.

Here is an awesome BP thread someone posted a while back comparing a number of LVP products. https://www.biggerpockets.com/... The pricing information is probably totally out the window at this point, but technical information is still very helpful. 

User Stats

Votes
Ross M.
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Replied May 26 2022, 04:30

I've used both laminate and LVP in previous homes, and much prefer LVP. It is more costly, but it's worth it for the durability and the fact that it's waterproof.

I laid about 1000 sqft of Provenza LVP at my last house. It had a 20 mil wear layer and came with pre-attached padding underlayment. We loved the look and feel of the result. This is the one we used: https://www.provenzafloors.com...

If you go to a flooring shop, they should be able to get you a discount if you're buying a lot. Look for something with a thick wear layer.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2022, 04:31
Quote from @Taylor L.:

I always prefer LVP over laminate. LVP generally looks much better and is easy to remove without seriously damaging the floor below. 

Also, if you have Floor & Decor near you go check out their LVP products. I found the product quality was much higher than the options at the Big Box home improvement stores, with Floor & Decor's prices still being competitive.

Here is an awesome BP thread someone posted a while back comparing a number of LVP products. https://www.biggerpockets.com/... The pricing information is probably totally out the window at this point, but technical information is still very helpful. 

Thank you for the info! What do you mean when you say lvp can be removed without damaging the floor? It appears both the lvp and laminate are installed the same way, click lock. 

User Stats

Votes
Ruth Blue
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Replied May 26 2022, 05:46

@Domanique Huggins

We manage cabins here in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and with the different owners for locations. The floors we have LVP installed look and feel better. The ones we placed laminate tend to have issues with guests complaining they are not always as clean. It's interesting.

We always recommend LVP.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 27 2022, 21:23
Quote from @Ross M.:

I've used both laminate and LVP in previous homes, and much prefer LVP. It is more costly, but it's worth it for the durability and the fact that it's waterproof.

I laid about 1000 sqft of Provenza LVP at my last house. It had a 20 mil wear layer and came with pre-attached padding underlayment. We loved the look and feel of the result. This is the one we used: https://www.provenzafloors.com...

If you go to a flooring shop, they should be able to get you a discount if you're buying a lot. Look for something with a thick wear layer.

Thanks! I found a retailer, taking a look tomorrow!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 27 2022, 21:23
Quote from @Ruth Blue:

@Domanique Huggins

We manage cabins here in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and with the different owners for locations. The floors we have LVP installed look and feel better. The ones we placed laminate tend to have issues with guests complaining they are not always as clean. It's interesting.

We always recommend LVP.

Thanks for the feedback!