Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Cast Iron Tub vs. Acrylic Tub AND Fridge Choice in Renovation

Nikhil Agarwal
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted May 26 2022, 08:28

This is the first time I purchased a unit that needs to be renovated before it can be rented. Before I closed, I went ahead and purchased two more. All 3 units closed last week. So now I have 3 units that need renovating!

I think we are renovating the units quite well:

1. Tile in the bathrooms
2. New vanity
3. brushed nickel hardware
4. LVP flooring throughout
5. Tile backsplash in the kitchen
6. New white shaker cabinets
7. Granite countertops
8. Paint, New Outlets, New Doors if damaged etc.

Given this context, there are a couple of choices I'm facing:

Choice 1: The Bathtub:

Should I buy a more expensive Cast Iron Tub ($479) vs. a cheaper Acrylic tub ($385). The contractor is charging the same for the installation so the only difference is going to be the purchase price of the tub. I think the main thing I'm thinking is if the more expensive tub will actually result in less maintenance. I don't think it makes any difference to what I'll be able to rent the unit for (we expect to rent it for $2K)

Choice 2: The Appliances:

We currently have a mix of appliances.

Unit 1: All white appliances except Hood is Stainless Steel
Unit 2: Dishwasher and Hood is Stainless Steel. Everything else is white.
Unit 3:
Dishwasher, Stove and Hood is Stainless Steel. Fridge is white.

I'm wondering if I should be upgrading all the non-SS appliances to stainless steel. Will it make a difference? Once again, the only incremental cost I would incur would be the appliances themselves. There is no additional labor charges for upgrading the appliances.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice! Thank you so much!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Liska
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Replied May 26 2022, 15:53

This is a rental, unless you are in an area that is a higher end rental, I would keep the appliances white and save some money. will stainless steel make your rental rent faster than other rentals in town or do a lot of the other rentals have stainless steel? At one time Black was even less than white appliances, guess what went into my student rental that I was renovating, all Black appliances. as far as the tub, there is not a huge difference in price and again it depends on the area but will a tub even be used, why not change it to a shower?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bohling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 30 2022, 17:16
Quote from @Nikhil Agarwal:

This is the first time I purchased a unit that needs to be renovated before it can be rented. Before I closed, I went ahead and purchased two more. All 3 units closed last week. So now I have 3 units that need renovating!

I think we are renovating the units quite well:

1. Tile in the bathrooms
2. New vanity
3. brushed nickel hardware
4. LVP flooring throughout
5. Tile backsplash in the kitchen
6. New white shaker cabinets
7. Granite countertops
8. Paint, New Outlets, New Doors if damaged etc.

Given this context, there are a couple of choices I'm facing:

Choice 1: The Bathtub:

Should I buy a more expensive Cast Iron Tub ($479) vs. a cheaper Acrylic tub ($385). The contractor is charging the same for the installation so the only difference is going to be the purchase price of the tub. I think the main thing I'm thinking is if the more expensive tub will actually result in less maintenance. I don't think it makes any difference to what I'll be able to rent the unit for (we expect to rent it for $2K)

Choice 2: The Appliances:

We currently have a mix of appliances.

Unit 1: All white appliances except Hood is Stainless Steel
Unit 2: Dishwasher and Hood is Stainless Steel. Everything else is white.
Unit 3:
Dishwasher, Stove and Hood is Stainless Steel. Fridge is white.

I'm wondering if I should be upgrading all the non-SS appliances to stainless steel. Will it make a difference? Once again, the only incremental cost I would incur would be the appliances themselves. There is no additional labor charges for upgrading the appliances.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice! Thank you so much!

It really depends on your market. If you choose to upgrade them, check out the big-box stores Scratch and Dent section; you can often find perfectly good appliances for a bit of a discount (chances are, within a couple months they'll be 'scratched' or 'dented' anyway).  From what I have seen and been told by other investors, what tends to matter more than whether stainless steel or white is that they all match (all stainless steel or all white).  Good luck to you, and congrats on the 3 properties!
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes