Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Becht
Votes |
Aircraft Hangar Development

Daniel Becht
Posted Jun 6 2022, 14:42

I'm a pilot (as a hobby - Civil Engineer by day) and the only thing I seem to hear these days is how there are not enough hangars in the Denver Metro area. At Rocky Mountain Metro (KBJC) there is a wait list of 7+ years to get a hangar and this seems to be the case across the country. It seems like a no brainer that a hangar development would be a cash cow. Obviously there are some large hurdles that come with development on an airport (State/Federally owned land, land leases, NIMBYs, etc...) but I would love to hear if anyone has been involved with or is interested in digging a little deeper into this perceived opportunity.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 6 2022, 18:20

I've been out to https://goo.gl/maps/kEViG9ct5J...

Few of these in Florida. Not sure if they exist in other states.

Might be something rural Colorado could develop.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garrett
  • Westminster, CO
Votes |
  • Westminster, CO
Replied Jun 6 2022, 20:42

I don’t log in here very often, but airports are one of my flags to watch and I fly out of BJC.  I know your pain well.  I’ve been on a wait list for a hangar there for the past 5 years - probably have another year to go before I get into a county hangar.  There are some port-o-ports that are privately owned that come up for sale every so often.  They generally are around $50k or so and then you just pay the land-lease.

I’m with ya though - I don’t get it.  There’s around 800 people on the wait list.. you figure half of them would be solid - so 400 guaranteed to pay $500/mo for a hangar… That’s $2.5m/yr coming in and over 20 years $48m.  Hard to figure out why this math doesn’t work.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes