• Developer
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Legal Advice for Building Multiple SFR on One Lot

Blaine Gerick
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jun 10 2022, 09:17

Hi BP Community, I have a lot in North Houston that has small frontage but is very deep. I am thinking of building 3 - 4 SFR on this plat without splitting the lot. Is this possible in Houston?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Mark Brown
  • Contractor
  • Webster, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Webster, TX
Replied Jun 10 2022, 21:42

Hi Blaine,

You basically have two options you might look into. If you don't split the lot, then you're essentially making a horizontal condominium complex. Condo association owns the shared driveway and everything beyond the front wall of the house. People can buy and sell their individual. Second option, but an "apartment complex" where each unit is a standalone building (ie, a house). Another option I've seen, you do divide the lot, but then you create an HOA, and the HOA owns the shared driveway. I'm curious, why would you not want to split the lot? In other words, what problem are you trying to solve by not splitting up the lots?

User Stats

Votes
Nancy Truong
  • Attorney
  • Houston
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Houston
Replied Jun 10 2022, 22:42

Texas attorney here. I'm based in Houston. Short answer - Yes. Houston one of the last cities in the nation, if not the only, that doesn't have zoning regulations. You'll need permits in place. Also, the common area will be structured depending on whether you're selling or leasing. There's different laws related to how common area is shared, whether you have it as an easement, run it through HOA, Condo association, etc.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 11 2022, 07:44

Oh I wish that Austin was like that!! In Austin the most that one could build on a lot depends upon the lot size but more than likely just two houses with condo regime. 

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 15 2022, 07:28
Quote from @Blaine Gerick:

Hi BP Community, I have a lot in North Houston that has small frontage but is very deep. I am thinking of building 3 - 4 SFR on this plat without splitting the lot. Is this possible in Houston?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You could, but will it be cost effective? Whats the width? You need a pretty wide driveway in addition to the homes.