Pro Member
  • Minnesota
Votes |
3BR, 1BA, 1100 sqft flooring and furniture design consultation

Gregory R Ley
Pro Member
  • Minnesota
Posted Jun 17 2022, 09:36

I need design consultation for robust, long term flooring, cabinets, paint, appliances, etc., for a quadruplex in Marcy-Holmes are in Minneapolis. I'm renovating 1 unit at a time. It will take a few years to do all four units due to budget limitations. I want to make the units nice for people to come home to. I closed on this quadruplex at the end of March 2022. This is my first rental property. It was in worse condition than I understood when I had purchased it. I decided to and have gutted everything in one unit. The most difficult thing for me is deciding on flooring, paint, cabinets, etc. So, I want an experienced designer to make the decisions. I don't know what to expect to pay for the design service. Please make a recommendation if you've had a good experience with a design consultant.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 20 2022, 14:50

@Gregory R Ley  I don't know the area but it doesn't sound to me like you need a designer.  You may need a kitchen designer to lay out the kitchen.  For the rest if you are renting long term you need to look at the competition and choose for durability.  Go to some flip open houses and some better apartment complexes for ideas.  

For finishes I am going to hazard a guess that you will do well with vinyl plank and neutral paint.  Cabinets Shaker is common. Don't overspend.  Maybe someone will reccommend a designer but you are looking for design to rent so that isn't your typical designer. 

User Stats

Votes
Gregory R Ley
Pro Member
  • Minnesota
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Minnesota
Replied Aug 12 2022, 16:28

I bought the fourplex with the vacant unit in March. It's August now. I'm overspending. Ugh. This is my first property. I don't know how to balance and do what makes sense. I'm currently seeking a contractor to do the job now. I gutted the place, removed all the cabinets and trim, sanded the concrete floors, pulled all the concrete nails, trim nails, etc. I'm exhausted. And it needs to be finished. So, I'm shopping investor experienced contractors to help me make decisions and then pay them to do the work.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Donisha Watkins
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 13 2022, 01:10

Hello Gregory, my name is Donisha. I am currently in the process of rehabbing a block of homes that I have purchased over the last few years, and I would love to offer my help. Just a little background on myself. I own 10 two family flats (Mini Mansions) in Michigan so that's 20 apartments that I am renovating. (One of which I bought for $1.00, and it appraised for $200,000 after a $15,000 rehab) I am not a professional designer, but I think I have done my fair share of rental rehabs to at least contribute competent, comprehensive and inexpensive suggestions. I actually enjoy designing the properties and my tenants, contractors and partner love the finished look. I am driven by Number crunching, aesthetics, and management. The goal of all my properties is a "high end look on a shoestring budget", all while keeping a neutral renter friendly palette. I have pictures and budgets of my existing rehabs if you're interested. My proposal is I cannot come to Minnesota, however if you accept my help, I am willing to consult you on my experiences with rental rehabs and offer suggestions as I am passionate about this! In exchange I ask for no monetary compensation but that you give me creative credit on any homes you use my design suggestions for as I am trying to start a design consultation business and I'm working on my portfolio...Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Amber Gonion
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hugo, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hugo, MN
Replied Aug 14 2022, 13:24

@Gregory R Ley we would be happy to walk through with you to give you an idea of where you would get bang for your buck. We have a rehab crew and do rehabs every month.

Gonion Group Multifamily Realtors Logo