Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Kenisha B.
Votes |
New Duplex: Purchase direct from builder or use an Agent?

Kenisha B.
Posted Jul 23 2022, 15:32

Hello BP Fam,

Sorry for all the posts but guidance is needed:) So I'm looking to purchase a new multi family property. Should I buy directly from a builder to save money by avoiding an agent fee, or should I use an agent to negotiate a better deal. I have limited real estate experience.. but I do have access to decent resources to help me make an informed decision. 

User Stats

Votes
William Anderson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast
Replied Jul 23 2022, 15:39

Kenisha,  let me start by saying I am a broker.  Long before I became a Realtor, I bought many types of properties including multi-family.  Most builders will not give a concession to someone who comes unrepresented.  This is one consideration.  Another is that you need to find an agent experienced in the type of property that you want to buy.  Look through the internet and contact the broker at the firm and ask the broker to refer you to someone with this expertise.

I was an expert in multi-family long before I became a real estate agent and then broker.  Part of what I can offer is a better set of eyes on build quality and things the builder may concede to include.  And, that expert is free to you.  

Should you go it alone in this litigation-rich environment, you will have no help if something goes wrong.  Just a few things to consider.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 24 2022, 14:20

Use an agent. You want someone who has your best interests and is going to represent you throughout the process. It doesn't cost you anything 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jul 24 2022, 15:32

Depends on the size of the builder and how they operate. I know builders that will take the commission off the price if there is no agent. Smaller builders tend to be like. Larger builders will typically not do that. Some of the larger builders to have a policy of not negotiating price or upgrades at all with a consumer, while they will with an agent.

District Invest Group Logo