Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Need to add a garden unit w W&D section

Ralph Atansuyi
Posted Jul 27 2022, 16:29

I want to add a 2bd/1 bath and a section for the building washer and dryer section. I pretty much have an idea of what I want to be done. Need help with getting a Permit but the Chicago Homeowner program site is of ho help (https://www.chicago.gov/city/e...). Finding a contractor or a GC or even an architect (they are very expensive) has been a huge task. Where can I find resources to help the small guy?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Winslow
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Berwyn, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Berwyn, IL
Replied Jul 28 2022, 06:19

Hi @Ralph Atansuyi it can be tough to find great GCs or contractors for relatively small jobs, my recommendations are ask your network of friends and real estate investors, check local community Facebook pages and see if you can find people helping around the neighborhood on various jobs or actually doing GC work, and also check on thumbtack and post your job and scope of work

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Jul 28 2022, 06:44

@Ralph Atansuyi if you are finishing a basement and don't want to use an architect, then I honestly believe the total cost will be well beyond what you are expecting. To add a unit the "right" way involves upgrading electrical service, water service, potentially digging down for ceiling height, adding windows, and more. This is why most of the garden apartments in Chicago are... bonus units. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael K.
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 28 2022, 07:49
Quote from @Ralph Atansuyi:

I want to add a 2bd/1 bath and a section for the building washer and dryer section. I pretty much have an idea of what I want to be done. Need help with getting a Permit but the Chicago Homeowner program site is of ho help (https://www.chicago.gov/city/e...). Finding a contractor or a GC or even an architect (they are very expensive) has been a huge task. Where can I find resources to help the small guy?

I did this same project a couple of years back, I more or less served as my own G.C. and architect. I had a nice space to work with so the final project turned out pretty well. As part of the process, I had to upgrade the building's water supply to copper (was originally galvanized pipe and the water pressure had been terrible). That was the single most expensive step. Did my own demo and framed it myself but hired electricians, plumbers, drywall, and hvac guys for the rest. Happy to chat if you like. 

User Stats

Votes
Eudith Vacio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Replied Jul 28 2022, 12:33

Hey @Ralph Atansuyi - where are you located? There are a ton of Facebook groups that you can join but depending on where you are located, I might be able to refer some people to you. 

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 29 2022, 12:46
Quote from @Ralph Atansuyi:

You can do a search on this site for architects. Make sure you pick a self certified architect. The architect can then make some recommendations for contractors.  You can also go to facebook and join the Chicago Renovation Room We've found contractors there as well as on Bigger Pockets. Another resource we've used is Thumbtack

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 30 2022, 10:56

Hey @Ralph Atansuyi - Are you adding the W/D to your primary residence or for an investment property?  The main reason I ask that is because adding a W/D can come at a steep cost because of the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing work that comes along with it.  Not to mention per the city of Chicago you actually need plans and a permit for this time of work, which you mentioned.

Cost can easily be from $4-8k.....if you aren't doing any other work alongside adding the W/D I'd carefully evaluate whether or not you will get your desired ROI.

Happy to connect and walk you through our process.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
Votes |
Replied Jul 30 2022, 19:57

Thanks for the reply. I have a design of what I intend to build. I found a contractor to quote labor while I buy the materials myself. I guess the next step is estimate the cost of permit for electrical, plumbing and structural work. Chicago can be complicated.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
Votes |
Replied Jul 30 2022, 19:59
Quote from @Eudith Vacio:

Hey @Ralph Atansuyi - where are you located? There are a ton of Facebook groups that you can join but depending on where you are located, I might be able to refer some people to you. 

I am at Fulton Blvd and Homan. Chicago. Ralph

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
Votes |
Replied Jul 30 2022, 20:24

@Eudith Vacio. I am by Fulton Blvd and Homan.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
Votes |
Replied Jul 30 2022, 20:26

@Jonathan Klemm...how can I contact you? I am working on the cost of the project to be able to seek funding.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
Votes |
Replied Jul 30 2022, 20:28

@Crystal Smith....you are awesome with that FB link. Appreciated 👍🏾.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
Votes |
Replied Aug 1 2022, 19:28

@Michael K. How easy was it for you to get a permit? It seems shrouded in some hard to find closet. Homeowners assistance program allows resident to get relaxed permit but that process is offline. How do I contact you?

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Atansuyi
Votes |
Replied Aug 1 2022, 19:31

@Jonathan Klemm. How do I contact you? I am doing cost discovery and calculations for estimates.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Aug 2 2022, 09:35

Hey @Ralph Atansuyi - Feel free to shoot me a DM through biggerpockets.  Happy to connect to see how we can help.