• Cranston, RI
Votes |
Land and Road development

Taylor Bettencourt
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cranston, RI
Posted Sep 1 2022, 16:06

Hey everyone, dipping my toes into an unknown area once again. I’ve found 4 pieces of legal non conforming land in Rhode Island that I’m interested in purchasing. They meet requirements for setback and frontage and septic will be needed. However, a paper road needs to be developed in order to access the lots. I’ve gotten some pretty astronomical quotes as far as what it could cost just to construct the road and I’m wondering if there is someway the town could maybe help with this. Should a town help to develop this type of road?

User Stats

Votes
Frank Patalano
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Providence, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Providence, RI
Replied Sep 1 2022, 16:36

I don't remember the last time that I have seen a municipality build a road unless it was for a specific public need. 
Yes the cost to build a road is astronomical. Especially if you have to extend public utilities and if the city/town is going take over the road after you build it.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Thompson
Pro Member
  • Buy and Hold Investor
  • Cranston, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Buy and Hold Investor
  • Cranston, RI
Replied Sep 1 2022, 16:53

@Taylor Bettencourt as a general rule towns aren't interested in financing or assisting for a developer to make a profit, add burden to the town utilities, school system, etc.

But it's not to say it couldn't happen. If you're committed to it you could start going to town council meetings and talking to people in the building department to figure out what they might be looking for to help defray the cost of bringing a road in.

For example, if there are 4 lots and you're willing to commit to setting aside 2 for affordable housing or perpetual green space, maybe that would be something the town would be interested in that would make them want to work with you.

It's also worth reviewing the most recent comprehensive plan for the town to find out what their general priorities and goals are.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gale Golden
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 6 2022, 04:06

I have developed raw land in another state and just got a quote for $40,000 for the dirt work alone not including utilities. Land development takes alot of money. That said, if you are developing “affordable housing” there may be grants or housing authorities that might consider helping out.  Also, network in the town itself to see if they have interest in supporting you and what they might offer. I never hurts to ask!