• Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
Tree landscape ideas needed

Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Posted Oct 16 2022, 12:34

In order to get sign off from Nashville metro Forrestry department, they made my GC install a total of 7 trees. The three in the front are Oak trees. In order to complete the job, the GC just threw the trees in the middle of the yard. 

I intend to remove some or all of the trees since I already am approved so these trees don't overrun my yard, but might want to add some nice smaller trees around the yard. Suggestions?

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Oct 17 2022, 08:47

Italian cypress, Taylor juniper, and the best would be liquidambar styraciflua ‘slender silhouette’. 

All of these grow tall but stay slim. 

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo

User Stats

Votes
Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Replied Oct 17 2022, 17:35

@Luka Milicevic

impressed with your species knowledge. I need to get the list from Metro and find out what I like. Those are nice options, they also grow tall. I could put them down the side of the property instead of clogging the front/back

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Oct 17 2022, 19:03
I don't know what type of oaks those are in the front but they are way too close together and are going to be ridiculously out of scale. Why did the GC pick oaks?

I'm also in TN. Depends on the effect you're looking for. If you don't want a solid wall of greenery, go for something deciduous in scale. Redbuds and Dogwoods both do great here in TN and are smaller scale trees that don't require a lot of upkeep. American Dogwoods do get anthracnose but if you make sure they're getting some sun it will keep it down. Redbud can put up with more sun than dogwoods in my experience.

If you want greenery, American Holly is a TN native tree that will give you privacy, deer generally hate it and it has few disease problems. Hathornes are cool trees too (also native) but have a lot of berries to drop. They are deciduous as well.

My preference is to always try to stay native as much as possible :)

User Stats

Votes
Malkia Ra
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prince George's County, MD
Votes |
  • Prince George's County, MD
Replied Oct 17 2022, 21:25

Builders and GC's often do a bad job at tree selection and placement.

Oak trees will get HUGE; and your GC placed three of them on the front lawn... sheesh.

Pulling them up now will save you tons of $$$ later.  You can always donate them.

If your property is close to others, consider planting screening trees for privacy (green giant arborvitae,  Nellie Stevens holly  and crypotomeria, for example).  And perhaps "anchor" trees on the corners of your foundation.  Do a Google search for "residential landscaping" for some ideas.  

Evergreen trees are the best, green year-round with no messy leaves to clean during fall/winter.  Be sure to know how much sunlight your property receives and whether or not your area has deer.

User Stats

Votes
Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Replied Nov 3 2022, 10:28

@JD Martin Thanks!

I'll look into those. The approved tree list is here: https://www.nashville.gov/depa...

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Nov 3 2022, 14:29
Quote from @Leland S.:

@JD Martin Thanks!

I'll look into those. The approved tree list is here: https://www.nashville.gov/depa...

Eastern redbud, white dogwood and crabapple are all native trees. Redbud and crabapple are virtually trouble free, native dogwood gets anthracnose (another one of those asian diseases where there's no immunity) so you have to spray it with fungicide. Any of those 3 are going to stay under 25 feet in height and roots that are well behaved. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Replied Nov 3 2022, 15:28

Seattle will not let you cut a tree, even on your own property if the trunk is larger than 6".  Be careful what you plant especially over sewer lines. I like fruit trees. Plum and Pear seem to stay manageable. Privets, Little gem elm?

User Stats

Votes
Brian S.
  • Wilmington, NC
Votes |
  • Wilmington, NC
Replied Nov 4 2022, 02:44

@Leland Smith if they’re newly planted they should be very easy to dig up and put back in pots. The place they were purchased from may take them back or give you credit for new plants. Also agree with the Italian Cyprus if it’s a two story home. Emerald green abortive are great too for mini screening trees and low maintenance if you can let them get full size 5’x15’. Great that you’re changing it now before it’s a problem.

User Stats

Votes
Leland S.
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • LA, Nashville TN
Replied Nov 9 2022, 20:33

@Brian S. It's a tall building. Privacy screening would be help as it's on a busy road/intersection.