• Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Build Home Addition - Detached Accessory Structure in Smyrna

Kabir Wolly
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Dec 1 2022, 17:15

Hello everyone,

I am reposting this here as I didn't get traction in the Contractors' Forum. 

I am trying to build an ADU/Granny Flat at the back of a property in Smyrna, GA. I have been in extensive communication with the city planning department and understand the zoning requirements (it is allowed). I have reached out a bunch of contractors already with no real response.  I have full architectural plans and would appreciate a recommendation to any trusted contractor(s) that has experience building this type of home addition in the Atlanta Metro Area. Thank you.

Cheers,

Kenny

User Stats

Votes
Tracy Gaudiano
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • Atlanta
Replied Dec 2 2022, 06:36

Hi Kabir,

I live in Smyrna and was just discussing this with a colleague last week.  I'm not sure I can help,  however I will sure try!  I am looking to do the same thing in Kennesaw with one of my rentals.  Please feel free to call me at your convenience.  

Tracy Gaudiano

404-944-5393

User Stats

Votes
Azeez K.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 2 2022, 06:42

Hi @Kabir Wolly

I have built an ADU in metro Atlanta and can certainly speak from experience. When you say you have the full architectural plans do you mean you have the building permit ready to go or just got the architectural plans? Simply having architectural plans don't mean much you have to go through the city planning department and get the necessary permits ready. If you haven't done that you would need to do this even before getting a contractor.

You may not get a response from contractors that's they way unfortunately unless you know someone. To provide bids etc takes lot of time and effort so unless you have everything ready to go you may not get a response. Below are the pictures of the ADU. Feel free to reach out to me as I can provide some pointers that will save you a lot of money and trouble in the long run. Best of Luck

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kabir Wolly
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 2 2022, 10:54
Thanks Azeez for your detailed response, I have only architectural plans -- no permits pulled yet, my understanding was that the GC will pull the permits and that way, they'll liaise with the city inspector to make sure the build passes all city inspections. But based on your response, I may just end up going with your suggestion and pulling permits anyway. 

What will be the best way to connect with you? 

Quote from @Azeez K.:

Hi @Kabir Wolly

I have built an ADU in metro Atlanta and can certainly speak from experience. When you say you have the full architectural plans do you mean you have the building permit ready to go or just got the architectural plans? Simply having architectural plans don't mean much you have to go through the city planning department and get the necessary permits ready. If you haven't done that you would need to do this even before getting a contractor.

You may not get a response from contractors that's they way unfortunately unless you know someone. To provide bids etc takes lot of time and effort so unless you have everything ready to go you may not get a response. Below are the pictures of the ADU. Feel free to reach out to me as I can provide some pointers that will save you a lot of money and trouble in the long run. Best of Luck

User Stats

Votes
Rick Baggenstoss
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Decatur, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Decatur, GA
Replied Dec 4 2022, 06:00

An ADU is a new build. Therefore, this is the kind of GC you're looking for. The prices will be high because it's almost as much effort for the GC to do a new 800 sf house as it is to do a 2000 sf house -- same number of subs, inspections, materials orders, and timeline.

I think you can cut your costs down significantly if you take some of the steps on your own starting with getting permits.  

GaREIA Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2023, 07:35
Quote from @Azeez K.:

Hi @Kabir Wolly

Looks great Azeez! Just DM'ed you :)

User Stats

Votes
Laura Greaney
Pro Member
  • Wantagh, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wantagh, NY
Replied Jun 26 2023, 17:35

WOWSA!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Hickman
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 10 2023, 12:39

Here are some resources for Metro Atlanta:

https://www.atladuco.com/

https://www.kronbergua.com/new...

https://www.backyardatl.com/

Kronberg is really big in the ADU space and with infill in the COA. I would imagine they'd know some contractors that you could reach out.