User Stats

Votes
Owain Hoskins
Votes |
Building on an aquifer in Texas...

Owain Hoskins
Posted Mar 14 2023, 07:32

Hi Guys, 

I am part of the initial steps into building on a site on an aquifer... what challenges does one face when doing so? Is there anything I should consider?

Thanks, 

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Hora
  • Developer
  • San Antonio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • San Antonio
Replied Mar 14 2023, 16:15

Are you referring to the Edwards Aquifer?  I'm going to guess and say yes.  There are different classifications based on where your property is located. You can be either in the Contributing Zone, Transition Zone, or Contributing Zone. Building in these zones requires permitting through TCEQ and will regulate the water quality of your site runoff. TCEQ does have a great website and recourses on this.  

There will be an impact on time/cost for permitting and receiving approvals through TCEQ and then a direct cost for the actual infrastructure/design used to treat your stormwater runoff.  Typically the City you are permitting through will require proof of TCEQ permitting before releasing a site/building permit.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 14 2023, 21:29

The city of Austin is very difficult to deal with, be ready to unnecessary back and forth. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes