Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Anyone developed within 500 ft of oil and gas rigs? large scale development 100+

Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Feb 21 2024, 15:25

We are looking at a site for development that is 30 acres, the seller put a small oil pump jack that is 15' high. We are looking for 15 dwelling units to 25 dwelling units per acre in a suburban area. My thought is a large concrete wall higher than it and the flume as well as additional fence, soil, tree boundary. It was just installed two years ago. We are considering splitting the land off so we have 16 acres and the seller keeps 14 acres which is plenty size for what we want to do. We are doing this site as a land entitlement contract. It's in a submarket of Columbus Ohio called Buckeye Lake. I'm sure it's a long shot but just wondering if someone has encountered this before. Oil pump jacks are common in eastern Ohio but not Central OH this is the closest I've seen ever and in 10 years I've never seen one. I'd be happy to share my letter of intent we are submitting. The land has utilities available and is very cheap, $27k an acre. Rezoned multifamily land trades for minimum $120k but typically as high as $175k once entitled. Would love some feedback or advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 21 2024, 15:29

Drive through or contact people in Bakersfield. I spent 2 years there and  remember seeing oil jacks in parking lots and green space of many buildings.   and that’s California land of the oil haters. I’m sure much of Texas and OK are the same. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 21 2024, 16:02
Quote from @Bill Brandt:

Drive through or contact people in Bakersfield. I spent 2 years there and  remember seeing oil jacks in parking lots and green space of many buildings.   and that’s California land of the oil haters. I’m sure much of Texas and OK are the same. 

I was thinking of doing that in eastern ohio since that's where this starts, along the West Virginia and Pennsylvania it's just not as common and our capital partner doesn't develop or hasn't near these before. I'm sure I can get the deal done and these are garden style 3-4 story walk up style which are the low end of market rate 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryant Brislin
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Feb 21 2024, 16:06

Couldn't the planning department of the jurisdiction tell you what you need to in regards to the environmental? Potentially an environmental consultant may have to get involved? Or Ohio Dept of Natural Resources may have guidelines about setbacks, etc?

Cash Source Homes Logo

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 21 2024, 16:09
Quote from @Bryant Brislin:

Couldn't the planning department of the jurisdiction tell you what you need to in regards to the environmental? Potentially an environmental consultant may have to get involved? Or Ohio Dept of Natural Resources may have guidelines about setbacks, etc?

Yah, we are working on that but the main idea is how to remove the oil rights and split the parcel off and conceal the pump jack so there is no impact is mainly what I'm talking about. not setbacks, etc. it's more about investor and purchaser comfort with that being nearby. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 21 2024, 18:37

I'm not