HOME Investment Program, Low Income Housing Tax Credits and HUD Multi Family Loans

2 Replies

Hello:

I looking for someone who has had experience with the above mentioned programs. Here is my story...

I have a single family home in a big lot. I rent it under Section 8. I have already spoken with a friend who's an architect/engineer and the lot can accommodate 4 to 5 additional units. Since this will all be low income housing, I am looking for financing alternatives.

I have read about Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) and what I am reading tells me (if I am reading it right) that for a project of this size (i.e., 6 units tops) the costs involved in getting and issuing the credits will not make the project cost-effective.

Therefore, I am currently pondering the option of developing using funds from the HOME Investment Program and then put permanent financing in place with a HUD's Multifamily Loan.

So, if you have had any experience with what I mention above, PLEASE share. I will buy you coffee (or preferably beer) whenever you are in my neck of the woods (sunny Puerto Rico).

You are correct, for a smaller project LIHTC is not the way to go, especially if you don't have a partner that has won them before. 

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with the HOME program, so can't be more helpful.

Hopefully some others here will chime in!

@Bradley Bogdan , thanks for confirming what I was already starting to suspect. It seems that anything below 50 units is not worth the LIHTC hassle cost-wise. In addition, neither my partner, nor myself have ever received or gone through the LIHTC process.

Hopefully, somebody will chime in about HOME. From what I have been reading, it's the way to go.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here