• Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Sooo I met with the architect yesterday

Brian Kehoe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted Feb 10 2016, 06:22
So I have a multi family on a "double lot". The property is 68' wide and single lots in the area are 34'. It was my assumption I could just split the property and build another multi family next door. Boy was I wrong. Turns out I pay taxes for the both lots together and they can not be spilt even tho my neighbors on both sides have their lots split and pay separately. However what I can do is build a whole new house attached to the existing home that would be completely its own entity but it can only be a single family. Annnd the kicker is that this is a area transitioning into a flood zone so all new construction needs to be raised and all existing homes will eventually need to be also. Raising the existing home would need to be done before any construction on the new home started and the existing home would lose its basement and all mechanicals would have to be moved upstairs. The property would go from 68' to one lot 28' and the other would 40' because the new home is attached on be one side and would have a larger side yard. Now the architect told me all new construction would have to be on stilts meanwhile I see plenty of home being raised on concrete foundations so I'm leaning towards getting a second opinion. What do you guys think this all sounds a little shady to me.

Loading replies...