Votes
Jeff Wolfert
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Votes |
Developer wants to re-locate my private driveway to his property

Jeff Wolfert
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Posted May 3 2016, 08:37

I was recently contacted by an engineering firm working for a developer who has an agreement with my neighbor to purchase his land pending the city's approval of their development plan. My neighbor's land is north of 100 acres and our land is about half the size of his. About 25% of his land is "land-locked", whereas, their is not a road accessing this area because my land is next to this portion and wetlands and a small lake surround the rest of the area, and the city won't let him create a private drive. Both of our properties are on a highway just outside of the city. I was told the developer can not create a drive off of the highway because our private drive off of the highway would be too close to his. The engineering firm reached out to me to discuss removing our private driveway and creating a new driveway just a few hundred feet down the highway. This driveway would have a turn-lane, which ours does not. This area of land is going to be developed into 20+ multi-family apartment complexes. There are a couple of things I have thought of that I think should be addressed as we begin the discussions of potentially removing our private driveway:

-What are the easement considerations for this new driveway?

-How does this new drive affect the value of my property?

-Should their be any compensation for agreeing to remove private drive?

-Alterations or access to new utility hook-ups?

We envision selling our land to a developer within the next 5 years. There have been some big developments going on within a few properties of ours (soccer complexes, 180,000 sq ft logistical warehouses, multi-family apartment complexes). We do not currently have sewer (have a lagoon) but the development plan has sewer being installed on our neighbors land. I have a meeting setup with the engineering firm (and possibly developer) coming up soon. What else should I be prepared to discuss or am I missing anything?

Loading replies...