• Investor
  • Windham, ME
Votes |
Private neighborhood with a lot of questions

Jason Lamb
  • Investor
  • Windham, ME
Posted Apr 22 2017, 16:39
I will try and explain this the best I can,any input would be grateful My wife and I built a new home in the spring of 2014. Our neighborhood is great and the one we were looking for to raise our family. The neighborhood was started by a gentleman that also lives here. He bought approx 150+ acres and started putting houses up. He is also a builder. He avoided "subdivision" law by breaking off lots every 5 years and gifting them to kids/wife etc. This neighborhood is about 10 years old and has about 50 homes in it, with the room for about 25-35 more. Again all this information is the best to my knowledge. He also sold chunks of land to other builders with some stipulation that he has a lot choice when they started to develop. When we bought our house we were handed by laws of the neighborhood from our realtor. That was in 2014. We have checked with all of our neighbors after 2014 and they have no idea about the by laws we were given. However there is no formal "association". The roads are considered private. Therefore the town does not plow, sand or repair the roads. Some roads are dirt and some are paved. Kind of a mess if you ask me. The only fee we pay is for plowing and sanding. Which we pay to the guy who started the neighborhood and he hires a subcontractor to plow and sand the roads.Trash pick up is by the town. So I guess what I am getting at is. There are some road repairs that need to be done. My particular road is not paved one of a few that are not .There is some drainage issues and culverts that need to be addressed. But when approaching the guy who started everything. He says I'm not the president of the association and basically passes the buck to the plow guy to fix the road. In short no one knows who to turn about any of the neighborhood issues. I'm shocked that nothing has been done until now. I would say to start and official association would be a good start but at the same time. There are others that have paved roads and I do not. I feel that I and others shouldn't pay the same fees that someone else does while they have a paved road. Not to drag this on anymore but any advice or if someone has come across this before. I would love your feedback. Thank you

Loading replies...