• Colorado Springs, CO.
Votes |
Shipping Container Homes

Will Foster
Pro Member
  • Colorado Springs, CO.
Posted Feb 6 2018, 21:59

Hello BPers!,

I've been thinking about shipping containers as homes, and wanted to know if anybody here has done that. There has been some good articles online and shows on television about the pros and cons of building from this material. And I have to say, some of the homes I've seen are quite remarkable.

My questions are, if I can purchase land, in Colorado, in an already established neighborhood, then build two homes from containers by a company that specializes in that construction, how difficult is it to work with the city planning and zoning to tap into electric, water and sewer, and to get the permits to have the homes constructed.

I'm thinking one home could be a one bedroom/one bath studio to rent out and the other could be a 2 bed/2bath for myself.

It seems such a good way to go, especially if the cost of the land and two container homes comes out to be the same and sometimes less than one older conventional house.

I know there is more to it than what I've discovered so far, any feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~Will

Loading replies...