What is the ideal price for upgrading to double paned windows?

4 Replies

For my new investment, I'm trying to upgrade the windows. I have 10 windows to upgrade. I spoke to 2 different contractors.

Contractor A quoted $2400 for retrofit and $3000 for regular (labor only, no material).

Contractor B quoted $6000 for retrofit and $8500 (labor + material).

Are these good prices? Bad? How do I find good contractors? 

If anyone can recommend me any, that would be great too. I live in the Bay Area, California.

Originally posted by @Ashwin Sundar :

For my new investment, I'm trying to upgrade the windows. I have 10 windows to upgrade. I spoke to 2 different contractors.

Contractor A quoted $2400 for retrofit and $3000 for regular (labor only, no material).

Contractor B quoted $6000 for retrofit and $8500 (labor + material).

Are these good prices? Bad? How do I find good contractors? 

If anyone can recommend me any, that would be great too. I live in the Bay Area, California.

Windows are about $150 each at Home Deport. It takes about 2 hours each to remove old and install new. So you can do them yourself for about $1,500 plus about $500 in caulking, insulation batting, and miscellaneous things for about $2,000 total and two days time. You can do 10 windows yourself if you are inclined to. If all windows are easily reachable do them yourself and hire a handyman by the hour or per window. 

If the windows are on the second story or difficult to get to, a company that has proper equipment (a lift,etc) might make sense.

It all depends on where the windows are and how much time you want to put into things.

Standard double hung windows can be installed from the inside.  Not need for a ladder.  Look at HD or Lowes replacement window install videos.  Easy to do and Mike M is right,  they are $150 each.