Real Estate Markets (Tampa/Portland)

7 Replies

Hey everybody, I got a job offer for a company and they are offering me 3 locations to work from. These are the 3 options: I can stay in Chicago where I am currently, I can move to Portland, Oregon or Tampa, Florida. They offered me a six figure income with great monthly bonuses. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each market. I would like to hear some of your opinions as well, both Portland and Tampa are great real estate markets so it difficult to choose. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

@Orie Brown Portland is very renter friendly so a tough place for landlords. But can be done. And there are lots of towns around Portland to invest. I think you should think about which climate you'd prefer to live in. They're very different! I love the weather in the pacific northwest but the cooler wet winters are not for everyone. Florida is the opposite, with extremely hot summer's but the wi terms are lovely.

Co grants on your new job!

Portland is an awesome town! There is a lot of development going on, and sure, while portland the city has strong tenant protections the surrounding metro area (and beyond) is different.  I would be happy to share my Commercial RE agents info with you if you are interested also happy to share my experiences here owning 2 small MF properties. Feel free to DM me. 

a plug for Oregon - it is a place where year round you can be outside exploring and enjoying nature, so so many places to go and see - world class food....  super friendly people,  decent cost of living, etc.....  it is liberal in the metro area and more conservative outside of that.  I am very happy here! 

If you decide to move here send me a DM and i can share places to go etc etc 

I would say Tampa:

1. No state income tax
  2. Low crime
  3. There are four professional sports teams to cheer on!
  4. Tampa is a comeback city...Water Street Tampa is one of the largest redevelopment projects that Tampa has seen in recent history, and it’s helping transform the city into a vibrant, diverse and attractive option for young people. It's $3 billion in total and spans more than 54 acres along the city’s downtown waterfront. In 2015, we completed the 2.5-mile Riverwalk which connects multiple arts / cultural centers with public parks and dining and shopping options. Walkability is increasing as we speak in the heart of the city!

Hello Orie Brown in Chicago. You can look at realtime date with charts and graphs on each of your three target cities if you go to the youtube videos with Reventureconsulting.com. You can start with Avoid These Cities (7 Worst in America). 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you