Votes |
Researching prefab/modular new construction in Northern VA

Grant P.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fairfax, VA
Posted Jul 11 2022, 07:27

Hi Everyone,

I set the location for Richmond since that's the closest to where I am, but specifically, I'm looking at counties in Northern Virginia (Fairfax, Loudon, and Prince William). 

My Fiancé and I are in the process of evaluating our options when it comes to housing for the mid to long term. One of the options I'm looking into is purchasing land and placing a modular home on it.

I realize this is no small undertaking as there's a lot of prep needed even before construction begins, such as land/lot development, paperwork, foundation, and site preparation. However, I'm confident in my ability to navigate these obstacles if enough resources are available to research and help me through the process. 

Has anyone here gone through this process for my region or know someone who does? If so, I'd love to have a conversation to understand better the process and pitfalls that might arise. 

A few general questions I have off the top of my head involve financing such an endeavor, how the zoning works (such as what if I put a duplex prefab rather than a single-family home), and the timeline from start to finish. Also, if there is a recommended prefab/modular builder that is recommended for my area.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Loading replies...