General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Bank of America or Chase for business account?

Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Posted Jan 24 2022, 09:50

Bank of America or Chase for business account? So about to open up a business account for a new LLC and was curious on feedback between Bank of America and Chase.
Please advise

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2022, 10:42

I chose Chase for my business. They have since given us credit cards with increasingly higher and higher limits relatively quickly. In addition, Bank of America is still under fire for creating false accounts and pushing products on customers that aren't in their best interest to meet quotas. 

User Stats

Votes
Gina Stern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jan 24 2022, 10:46

When I had a business account at Bank of America they never ever contacted me to build a relationship and this was way before COVID. I have only used Chase for personal accounts, but I moved to Valley Bank for all my business needs. They are a smaller bank but very communicative and aware of customer needs. Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jan 24 2022, 10:47
Originally posted by @Tsipora Smith:

I chose Chase for my business. They have since given us credit cards with increasingly higher and higher limits relatively quickly. In addition, Bank of America is still under fire for creating false accounts and pushing products on customers that aren't in their best interest to meet quotas. 

Thanks for the input. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jan 24 2022, 10:49
Originally posted by @Gina Stern:

When I had a business account at Bank of America they never ever contacted me to build a relationship and this was way before COVID. I have only used Chase for personal accounts, but I moved to Valley Bank for all my business needs. They are a smaller bank but very communicative and aware of customer needs. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. 
We had considered one of the local small banks close to where we live ,but if we’re ever out of the area and needed to get a cashiers check etc. it might be an issue. 

User Stats

Votes
Gina Stern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jan 24 2022, 11:02

Smaller banks usually have links to the bigger banks though. They are so much more helpful, very responsive to needs such as wire transfers, opening up new accounts quickly. I think Valley are only in Florida, Georgia, and NJ. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Anderson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Stamford, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Stamford, CT
Replied Jan 24 2022, 19:21

@Joe S. I’ve used both and the security at BofA felt more robust (which was pesky at times). Chase was recently offering a decent concession on new accounts in our area. Shop for deals/promos

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2022, 07:49

@Joe S. We use Navy Federal and have been pleased thus far. I know it wasn't on your list of options but definitely worth considering.

User Stats

Votes
Lawrence Briggs
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 25 2022, 08:04

@Candice Wharton thank you for your input. I have personal bank accounts and a credit card with Navy Federal. What do you like about them for business banking? I am thinking about a business checking, savings, and maybe credit for my company. I am going to be self-managing my rental properties. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2022, 08:11

@Lawrence Briggs Loan rates are lower and they're super easy to work with for business auto loans and mortgage loans.

User Stats

Votes
Kai Kopsch
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 25 2022, 08:34

Chase is a lot easier to work with than BoA. Chase has better business CC and sign-up bonuses and other financial products that help small businesses. Just opened a business checking & CC with Chase can get you easy $700 to $1000in Statment credits and points within 3 months.

Kai Kopsch Realty One Group Select Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lawrence Briggs
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 25 2022, 08:46

Who has better perks for business credit cards?

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 25 2022, 17:16

@Joe S. If you’re playing the points game then the Chase Ink Business Unlimited has no annual fee and you'll earn 75,000 points after spending $7,500 on it within three months. This card gives you 1.5x on all purchases, so use it for all bus. expenses. You can also get a Chase Saphire card for personal, combine points in the two cards, and then transfer to hotels or airlines.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Ruvido
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 26 2022, 07:45

I just opened 3 business checking accounts with Chase last week. I live in Mass, but have LLC's in Wyoming, Indiana, and Alabama. None of the LLC's are registered in Mass because they aren't doing business here. I wanted to use a smaller local bank as some people have suggested, but none of them would open business checking accounts because the LLC's are not registered in Mass (I checked with close to 20 banks). This led me to the larger national banks, with both BoA and Chase being the front runners because they have branches close to where I live. BoA requires a minimum balance of $5,000 across ALL your business accounts in order to avoid the monthly maintenance fee. Chase requires a minimum daily balance of $2,000 in EACH account to avoid the monthly fee. I wanted to go with BoA because I know one of the LLC's will have way more than $5,000 in it on a daily basis so that would take care of the monthly fees for all three (allowing me to not worry so much about the balances in the other two accounts). Turns out BoA wouldn't let me open accounts for the Alabama and Wyoming LLC's because of the unique setup... My Wyoming LLC owns the Alabama LLC so when you check on the Secretary of State's website in Alabama you see the member as my Wyoming LLC, not my name. And since Wyoming doesn't require LLC's to show their members online when you look on the Secretary of State's website in Wyoming you don't see my name either, only the name of the firm that set up the LLC. Because of the anonimity in both LLC's, BoA wasn't able to prove that I own them so they wouldn't open the accounts. Chase, however, allowed me to open them so that's where I ended up. So far I've been pleased with the service at the local branch and with their website/moble app. Now I need to start applying for business credit cards and BLOC's to help me scale!

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jan 26 2022, 08:39
Originally posted by @Michael Ruvido:

I just opened 3 business checking accounts with Chase last week. I live in Mass, but have LLC's in Wyoming, Indiana, and Alabama. None of the LLC's are registered in Mass because they aren't doing business here. I wanted to use a smaller local bank as some people have suggested, but none of them would open business checking accounts because the LLC's are not registered in Mass (I checked with close to 20 banks). This led me to the larger national banks, with both BoA and Chase being the front runners because they have branches close to where I live. BoA requires a minimum balance of $5,000 across ALL your business accounts in order to avoid the monthly maintenance fee. Chase requires a minimum daily balance of $2,000 in EACH account to avoid the monthly fee. I wanted to go with BoA because I know one of the LLC's will have way more than $5,000 in it on a daily basis so that would take care of the monthly fees for all three (allowing me to not worry so much about the balances in the other two accounts). Turns out BoA wouldn't let me open accounts for the Alabama and Wyoming LLC's because of the unique setup... My Wyoming LLC owns the Alabama LLC so when you check on the Secretary of State's website in Alabama you see the member as my Wyoming LLC, not my name. And since Wyoming doesn't require LLC's to show their members online when you look on the Secretary of State's website in Wyoming you don't see my name either, only the name of the firm that set up the LLC. Because of the anonimity in both LLC's, BoA wasn't able to prove that I own them so they wouldn't open the accounts. Chase, however, allowed me to open them so that's where I ended up. So far I've been pleased with the service at the local branch and with their website/moble app. Now I need to start applying for business credit cards and BLOC's to help me scale!

Sounds like you got it going on.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 29 2022, 08:28
Quote from @Candice Wharton:

@Joe S. We use Navy Federal and have been pleased thus far. I know it wasn't on your list of options but definitely worth considering.