Votes
Thomas Mineart
Pro Member
Votes |
Where do I go to start a 506 (B) fund?

Thomas Mineart
Pro Member
Posted Jan 28 2022, 05:42

I think I want to start my own 506 (B) does anyone have any advice on who to reach out to so that I can start one?

I work as a real estate agent in central Iowa and because of the marketing I do, I am constantly getting listing leads. Some of the leads have homes that need work. I want to start a fund so that I can come back to the sellers with a listing proposal and a cash offer.

Most sellers will probably list their home which is fine but I just want to provide a convenient option for them if that is what is more important to them.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 05:58

Why do a fund rather than work with 1-2 established private money lenders? 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Hoggatt
  • Investor
  • Morrison, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Morrison, CO
Replied Jan 28 2022, 06:09

The fund is only as good as the people that back it.  Do you have a good source of investors along with other people looking to list their home?  Starting a fund isn't cheap. There are companies online that help with creating a fund but you might want to start with talking with a local attorney that would be able to do this type of work for you.  I think it will show you the complexity of it as you learn more and you may figure out that it's not your best option.  Have a good source of lenders would be the cost of doing business here and you can get the show on the road right away.  Creating a fund is a long process as well.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Percy N.
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 06:32

As suggested, you can use debt or form an LLC where all members are active.

If you bring in passive investors, you will need to talk to a securities attorney who can help you draft a PPM.

Getting the purchase funding is just the start. What is the plan to fix and flip (or rent) the properties?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jan 28 2022, 07:01

@Thomas Mineart, I think you're jumping the gun here.  Why not start in your network and see if anyone would be interested in these types of deals as one offs.  They can fund the projects as they come along.  Starting a fund, and not deploying capital would be a bad situation to be in.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Mineart
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 28 2022, 07:05
Originally posted by @Taylor L.:

Why do a fund rather than work with 1-2 established private money lenders? 

Honestly, I wanted to do a fund as a way to involve my friends and family members. It may be a better option for me to start with hard money to establish proof of concept.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Mineart
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 28 2022, 07:18
Originally posted by @Percy N.:

As suggested, you can use debt or form an LLC where all members are active.

If you bring in passive investors, you will need to talk to a securities attorney who can help you draft a PPM.

Getting the purchase funding is just the start. What is the plan to fix and flip (or rent) the properties?

Mostly fix and flip at first and then buy and hold

User Stats

Votes
Matthew M.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 09:09

@Thomas Mineart talk to a securities attorney. You need to draft a term sheet to “shop” and ppm, they will walk you through most of what you need and will guide you to keep you out of trouble. 506(b) allows up to 35 non accredited investors and unlimited accredited investors but you can’t advertise, they all need to be prior relationships.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Levarek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Feb 13 2022, 06:11

@Thomas Mineart You call a securities attorney. Call is usually free for these kind of discussions and will be better advice then a forum. Many flippers resort to deed of trusts with promissory notes as it provides collateral. A fund will need a established network and a good securities attorney. Unless you buy the property outright with the fund, does it have ownership...and thus collateral?

But it all starts with a call...

User Stats

Votes
Tim Delaney
Pro Member
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Feb 14 2022, 02:24

@Thomas Mineart managing a fund is more complicated than just taking people’s money, you need to have a plan in place and execute that plan to provide the returns you promise the investors.

You should give Mauricio a call - setting up syndications is his specialty: http://www.premierlawgroup.net