User Stats

Votes
Javier Osoria
Votes |
Some Help needed for a Noobie Investor - What Q's to ask an Agent

Javier Osoria
Posted May 23 2022, 08:33

Hi all, 

My brother and I are looking to get our first LTR property (not in our area), and I'm about to start reaching out to agents to find a good fit for us. I was wondering what are some good questions to ask to vet out an agent? 

Thanks. 

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Columbus Ohio
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Columbus Ohio
Replied May 23 2022, 10:19

I would focus on building a relationship with any agent you contact. Give them your buying criteria and see if they can bring you deals your interested in. If you try to vet them too hard and their truly experienced you may burn a bridge before getting to see their deals.  

User Stats

Votes
Chris Pereira
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Van Nuys, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Van Nuys, CA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 11:03

@Javier Osoria

When I vet my out of state agents I only work with agents who are also investors because they understand the unique needs of investing and know how to maximize value:

Ask them to Explain Cash on Cash Return to you?

How Many Doors do they Own?

Do they have a wide network of professionals who will help you manage your properties (Property Managers, Handyman, Investor friendly lenders etc)?

What local market investing strategies have they found successful in their market?

What criteria makes a great rental property in their market?

I hope you find this helpful and don't hesitate to reach out if you want to chat. As you can probably tell I am both a local investor and agent here in LA, I would be happy to assist you. 

Cheers,

Chris

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Blankenship
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 23 2022, 07:30

@Javier Osoria Would you be opposed to buying LTR out-of-state?  

I understand the difficulties of investing in expensive markets. I LOVE helping my out-of-state investors choose which markets are best suited for them whether it's mine or in a market where I have excellent relationships with friends who can help them as well.

As far as realtors go, I would try connecting with investors in your area through Facebook groups, your local REIA, here on BP, etc. @Chris Pereira mentioned some good questions to ask Realtors as well!

Social proof has and always will be the best form of marketing!  🙂

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Gozlan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:03

@Javier Osoria the most important question an investor should ask a potential agent is: "Are you an investor yourself?" and the second most important question is "Can you please tell me about your investing experience?"

An experience investor/agent can offer you a LOT more than any other agent out there! Would you buy stocks from a broker that doesn't believe in the stock market? Would you go to a dentist that only has 3 teeth?

User Stats

Votes
Leona Usaty
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Dec 2 2022, 22:10
Quote from @Javier Osoria:

Hi all, 

My brother and I are looking to get our first LTR property (not in our area), and I'm about to start reaching out to agents to find a good fit for us. I was wondering what are some good questions to ask to vet out an agent? 

Thanks. 

Hey Javier, 
My name is Leona; I am a Realtor and CEO of Leona Estates. There are many different directions an agent can take in real estate, but it's important to find an agent who will work for you. Your agent or realtor must be investors friendly, with some extra designation such as SFR ( short sale and foreclosure). My team is working for investors; I will be happy to connect; feel free to contact me.
Leona

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 2 2022, 22:42

Ask if they own real estate, and what the agents investors are currently doing in this shifting market. 

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Replied Dec 3 2022, 10:08

You may even find one on this site. Look up the agents near your location and see what kind of advice they are giving out on this forum. That should tell you their level of knowledge.