Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Jones
Votes |
2nd Home to Rental --> When does depreciation begin?

Kelly Jones
Posted May 30 2022, 10:33

I lived in my house from 2003 - 2012.  I moved into a new home in 2012 and kept this house for a 2nd home.  I will begin renting the house in 2023 (10 years after moving out).  Question is...when do I capture the value to calculate depreciation?  Would it be from 2012 when I moved out?  Or, would it be in 2023 when I officially begin to rent the property?  

I feel like it would begin in 2012 since I COULD HAVE rented it out if desired, thus I should use that value to begin depreciating even though I've missed 10 years (2012 - 2022).  I'm not worried about the lost depreciation if that is true...I simply want to be sure I use the right value (2012 or 2023) once I begin receiving rental income.  

Thank you!

kmj

User Stats

Votes
Yonah Weiss
Pro Member
  • Cost Segregation Expert and Investor
  • Lakewood, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cost Segregation Expert and Investor
  • Lakewood, NJ
Replied Jun 1 2022, 15:13

@Kelly Jones the depreciation would begin when you place it in service as a rental (2023 in this case) and your depreciation tax basis will be based on the original purchase price. 
Even though you 'could have rented it out'--you didn't, as you said you used it as a second home. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 1 2022, 15:34

@Kelly Jones    This is the source.  2021 Publication 527 (irs.gov) pg 15. Basically what Yonah said plus any improvements is the basis. There are very few situations where FMV now will be less than the purchase price plus improvements.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 30 2022, 16:17

You start to re-record depreciation when the property is placed into service. You need to also factor in the depreciation on the property when it was a rental originally.

best of luck!