• Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Where to/not to Invest in Columbus OH

Thomas O'Donnell
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Jun 1 2022, 08:21

Hello all! I am looking to invest in Columbus, Ohio within the next month or so, and I was wondering if there are any other investors or property managers that can give me some pointers on where I should invest and where I should definitely avoid. I am not from Columbus so it hasn't been the easiest to determine this, but I know there are some really bad parts spread across the city. I am looking to either BRRRR or house-hack in C to B areas. I would love to connect with some of you who are already there. Please reach out I would love to talk!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jun 1 2022, 09:47

@Thomas O'Donnell
Columbus doesn't have any war zones as opposed to other cities. Even the roughest and worst parts of Columbus are increasing overwhelmingly in value and still cash flow. 

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Cross
  • Lender
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 1 2022, 10:34

The city of Columbus has been improving rapidly and still has a lot of room for growth. To be honest, I have had issues in the "better" neighborhoods just like other owners have had in the less desirable neighborhoods. I've also spoken to different landlords that have had great successes in neighborhoods that others have told me were "warzones." I would connect with realtors and property managers for more insight but take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. I've had a property manager deny my property in 2020 because it was in a certain area and they just reached out to me to see if I'd consider them again. Boots on the ground are important.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Austin McClain
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Replied Jun 1 2022, 10:45

There's nowhere I wouldn't invest within the 270 Loop in Columbus. Different areas are better depending on your goals. If you're looking at a BRRRR or house hack in a high growth/up and coming area, I'd look at North Hilltop.

User Stats

Votes
Andre Crabb
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 1 2022, 12:13

Hi Thomas, if it were me, I'd start looking at these areas that are darker blue.

They seem to skew to the East, West, and South. And any small towns around those areas.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Brown
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jun 1 2022, 12:32

Stick as close as you can to short north. :)

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 1 2022, 14:58
Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

Hello all! I am looking to invest in Columbus, Ohio within the next month or so, and I was wondering if there are any other investors or property managers that can give me some pointers on where I should invest and where I should definitely avoid. I am not from Columbus so it hasn't been the easiest to determine this, but I know there are some really bad parts spread across the city. I am looking to either BRRRR or house-hack in C to B areas. I would love to connect with some of you who are already there. Please reach out I would love to talk!

North Linden, South of Main, Vassor Village, Woodland Park, MT Vernon, Milo-Grogan, Franklinton, Merrion Village, Hungarian Village, Southern Orchards, Driving Park, Olde Towne East, Franklin Park, King Lincoln, Old Oaks, Livingston Park are all but not limited to some areas in Columbus, Ohio I think will gentrify quickly and make for great long term buy and holds.
  • Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 2 2022, 03:42

Check out The Complete Guide to the Columbus, Ohio Real Estate Market which goes through the Columbus, Ohio market in depth and will give you a better scope of where the highest levels of growth are taking place and where to look to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 7 2022, 14:19

Columbus in general has had a lot of growth and will continue to rapidly grow as more companies and jobs opportunities arrive in the area. There are some rougher parts than others but I would say that in some of the areas that are still considered to be "rough" such as hilltop and linden is probably where you will see the most appreciation. If you are looking for a good BRRRR where you won't have to leave much money in the deal I wouldn't look past some of these areas. Other areas you might want to consider that have a lot of growth happening are Southern Orchards, Franklin Park, Olde Town East, Franklinton.

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Cress
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 23 2022, 09:55

Hey man! In Columbus right now, some of the really hot areas are 43224, 43213, 43206, and 43207. These seem to be some good areas that have been successful in recent months for investors. I hope that helps! Happy investing! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael K Gallagher
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Jun 27 2022, 10:59

@Thomas O'Donnell if you are specifically looking to house hack, and looking to move into an already rehabbed property where you can demand high rents I'd concentrate on Franklinton, Olde town, Franklin Park, potentially King Lincoln depends on the block, and South of Main.  These are the areas that have already been well rehabbed, and you can get a townhouse style duplex still fairly affordably and have a fairly low barrier to entry.  

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Nov 26 2022, 17:55
Quote from @Joshua Janus:

Check out The Complete Guide to the Columbus, Ohio Real Estate Market which goes through the Columbus, Ohio market in depth and will give you a better scope of where the highest levels of growth are taking place and where to look to invest.

Wow thanks so much! What a great companion to the ones I have saved for Cleveland and Philly.

User Stats

Votes
Chad P.
Votes |

Hi all. New member here, and also interested in investing in Columbus, OH. How is the downtown area (43215) for mixed use redevelopment? 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 6 2023, 16:14

There a ton of great spots to invest in Columbus but it is true that you should avoid certain parts if you are looking for appreciation. I was raised in Columbus and have bought a ton of properties where I house-hacked, BRRRR'ed, fix & flipped, and raised private capital. I bought a lot of my investments in Driving park, Southern Orchards, Clintonville. In general, Columbus is getting a ton of heat because Nationwide Children's hospital is investing 4+ Billons dollars, Intel is investing Billions, and now so is Amazon.

I would say the next hot spot to invest would be white-hall. They are getting tons of funding and rents and property values are rising like crazy. I have brokered a ton of deals there for my out-of-state clients and would love to educate you more on the market there. Shoot me a PM anytime man!

User Stats

Votes
Chad P.
Votes |

Thank you! I'm specifically interested in the Capital Square area of downtown, curious whether there is an already vibrant live/work scene there currently or that is being developed. Is that area of downtown somewhere that is desirable and safe to live, or is it mostly tourist and work traffic?

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 8 2023, 07:47

I'm a local investor and agent here in Columbus, Ohio so would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I've done tons of house hacks, brrrrs, flips, etc. here in Columbus! Personally, I've seen a lot of investors buy in 43224, 43221, 43204, 43207. But like a lot of people are saying above me, everywhere in Columbus is gentrifying and appreciating extremely quick! I honestly wouldn't be opposed to buying anywhere in Columbus and it's even going to get better from here with Intel and the future projected job and population growth here. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 8 2023, 10:25

As an Investor/PM I would suggest a few areas like Whitehall, Reynoldsburg, or Gahanna to invest in. The investor side of me sees a lot of opportunity to BRRR with some of the older builds in this area and appreciation potential. The PM side of me sees areas like Franklinton, Southern Orchards, and Hilltop as nightmare areas to try to find a good tenant in. Worthless to buy an appreciating property that you cant keep a well qualified tenant in for more than 1-2 years.

Bests of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 8 2023, 10:31

Luckily for us, Columbus as a whole has really been brought up, that being said we have A,B, and C areas, so there really isn't anywhere that I would say to stay away from. You could practically throw a dart at a Columbus map and it would hit somewhere that'll make a good investment. 

User Stats

Votes
John Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied May 4 2023, 06:59
Quote from @Douglas Patterson:

As an Investor/PM I would suggest a few areas like Whitehall, Reynoldsburg, or Gahanna to invest in. The investor side of me sees a lot of opportunity to BRRR with some of the older builds in this area and appreciation potential. The PM side of me sees areas like Franklinton, Southern Orchards, and Hilltop as nightmare areas to try to find a good tenant in. Worthless to buy an appreciating property that you cant keep a well qualified tenant in for more than 1-2 years.

Bests of luck!

I just sold a Southern Orchards duplex I bought in 2019. Househacked it, rented it both as long-term and as a short-term rental (Furnished Finder). 

Bought it for 180k, put 30k into it and just sold it for $425K!!  LFG!

I learned that you can still buy at this price point today although construction costs and complexity have both increased. Getting good long-term tenants was not as easy as I thought it would be. Actual rents were lower then projected.

I grew up in Whitehall so it coming around in the cycle totally makes sense to me.