• Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Full package ADU's available in Minnesota

Bruce Runn
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Jun 9 2022, 16:04

I did a tour of Yardhome's ADUs that they are putting up in MInnesota. There are 30 cities in Minnesota that ADU's are allowed. Their full package ADU's are reasonable ($160-$230K). The $160K option is a 500 sq ft 1 bedroom and the $230K is a 2 story ADU with parking underneath with a 2 bed apartment above. Highly recommend visiting their website/contacting them if you have thought about putting an ADU on one of your properties. www.yardhomesmn.com

User Stats

Votes
Corey Hawkinson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bloomington, MN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bloomington, MN
Replied Jun 10 2022, 04:48

@Bruce Runn What a coincidence, I toured those homes this week as well. :)

I was very impressed by their product!! Highly recommend it as well.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 10 2022, 04:55

Yea those are not "reasonable" costs for something 500sqft. Especially for someone from Mn with the hundreds of cabin companies around 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jun 10 2022, 09:59
Quote from @Bruce Runn:

I did a tour of Yardhome's ADUs that they are putting up in MInnesota. There are 30 cities in Minnesota that ADU's are allowed. Their full package ADU's are reasonable ($160-$230K). The $160K option is a 500 sq ft 1 bedroom and the $230K is a 2 story ADU with parking underneath with a 2 bed apartment above. Highly recommend visiting their website/contacting them if you have thought about putting an ADU on one of your properties. www.yardhomesmn.com

Has anyone talked to the city to see if a Park Model Trailer on a foundation would qualify as an ADU? Limited to around 400 sqft but probably half the price. I believe some cities will consider a park model a dwelling unit if it is attached to the ground.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Runn
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jun 10 2022, 14:14
Quote from @John Woodrich:
Quote from @Bruce Runn:

Has anyone talked to the city to see if a Park Model Trailer on a foundation would qualify as an ADU? Limited to around 400 sqft but probably half the price. I believe some cities will consider a park model a dwelling unit if it is attached to the ground.

I'm guessing it doesn't meet building/zoning code.  These do.  I know there are some quirky rules surrounding mobile home regulations.  It has something to do with the wheels not being allowed to be taken off something similar.  I know, crazy.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Runn
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jun 10 2022, 14:20
Quote from @Sean Ross:

Yea those are not "reasonable" costs for something 500sqft. Especially for someone from Mn with the hundreds of cabin companies around 

I live in Minneapolis, it has to meet building and zoning code to be compliant as a separate residence.  I'm guessing we are talking about two pretty different things

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jun 10 2022, 14:45

@Bruce Runn Some cities don't like mobile homes/trailers and some seem to be ok with them so long as the axles are removed and they are attached to the land.  I would guess that MPLS doesn't allow them but it could be a cheaper option in other areas.  

At $300+ per sqft I have to imagine there are some new construction options that are available.  I didn't attend the meet up but imagine they can be built quite a bit quicker than new construction and maybe with less hassle but who knows.