• Oakland, CA
Votes |
Investing in Richmond

Jason Porto
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Jun 13 2022, 07:55

Hello all! I recently moved from Oakland to Richmond, but don't see a dedicated forum for my new hometown. Is anybody in this group investing in Richmond? If so, let's connect and chat about it. I currently am house hacking a property (renting our main house while living in ADU) in the North and East neighborhood and strategizing on how I can buy my next one.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 13 2022, 08:24

Hi @Jason Porto, there are a lot of great people in this forum!

If you want to actively find people, go to the "Network" tab at the top of the page. Click on "Members".

Type in Richmond, VA and connect with investors.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Porto
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 09:09

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I'm looking at Richmond, CA though.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Erik Browning
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Replied Jun 13 2022, 09:27

Hi @Jason Porto I know of an agent in the N. East Bay (Oakland/Richmond) that invests in the area, however he is not on BP. He would be happy to speak with you but likely only if you were considering purchasing in the near future. Send me a DM to discuss offline :)

• Lender

• (707) 595-7574

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Replied Jun 13 2022, 09:52
Quote from @Jason Porto:

Hello all! I recently moved from Oakland to Richmond, but don't see a dedicated forum for my new hometown. Is anybody in this group investing in Richmond? If so, let's connect and chat about it. I currently am house hacking a property (renting our main house while living in ADU) in the North and East neighborhood and strategizing on how I can buy my next one.

Richmond does not have it's own forum here on BP. Oakland does. Proud of you my man because you are doing exactly what we have told countless clients to do. Buy a property, set your ego aside and live in the ADU....rent out the main house to someone and you can live (basically) for free. Refinance (Don't sell), pull cash out buy another house hack, repeat.

I'm very familiar with Richmond and Oakland,....if you have any questions, reach out.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 14 2022, 05:37
Quote from @Jason Porto:

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I'm looking at Richmond, CA though.

Sorry about that! Just type in Richmond, CA then. Basically the same.

User Stats

Votes
Vahe Minassian
  • Richmond, CA
Votes |
  • Richmond, CA
Replied Aug 2 2022, 16:32

Hi Jason my name is Vahe, I'm actually doing something very similar in the North & East neighborhood of Richmond, CA as well. I'm new to this website as well...It's definitely nice to see someone doing something similar to myself in the same area... I wonder who else is in the Richmond area. In any case it would be interesting to talk if you have time. 

Regards

Vahe Minassian

User Stats

Votes
Austin Largusa
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Aug 2 2022, 18:26

North Bay right here! I've got an event in Walnut Creek. Are yall around on August 20?

User Stats

Votes
Nkosi Groover
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Aug 3 2022, 21:32

East/North Richmond, CA is definitely the pinnacle of up-and-coming!

San Francisco and Oakland are the "general" metros for the Bay Area in BP.

User Stats

Votes
Brien M.
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Aug 31 2022, 11:34

North and East is a nice pocket within Richmond, situated very close to El Cerrito.  I'm born and raised in Oakland and we've had lots of friends start moving away to buy their first homes and they tend to go north, Emeryville condos, El Cerrito and Pinole.  We've done a few remodels in Richmond and are fans of that portion of Contra Costa between Albany and San Pablo.

@Jason Porto thanks for starting this Richmond thread. How has the house hack been going? How'd you find your property? Did you make the ADU?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Porto
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Sep 12 2022, 21:02

The house hack has been going great so far! It took a bit to find my tenants, but I was patient and am very happy with the family that lives here. I also love that I'm not cash poor like so many other homeowners in the bay. I found the property through an agent of David Greene's and had a very good experience. The property had basically been flipped by the previous owner and the ADU had been created from the existing garage so all I had to do was move in. It's cozy in here but it works for now until I figure out how to get the next place. I've definitely seen other houses for sale around here, and one down the street was recently stripped to the studs so I can see that the area is still sought after.