• Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Got my loan now what

Crystal Wilson
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jun 21 2022, 19:19

Hi! I own 3 income properties from 2016. Refinanced cash out and got a lot of money to invest. Looking to crate a team. Maybe a contractor. To do some fix and flips here in Denver or Pueblo. Always wanted to get into apt. buildings though. So if anyone can lead me the right direction for that.  Just thought id post on here trying to figure out my next move. Much Love Crystal

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Jun 22 2022, 06:29

You are definitely in the right mindset as far as going with MFH. I have the same plan but am not as far along as you are quite yet. First I would read Brandon Turners Multi Family Millionaire. My plan once I sell and scale is to call every 6+ unit building owner in my market with an offer semi-ready. The first step is to become very familiar with the income the property will produce at market rents as apartments are typically a little less than SFH. Factor in your own operating expenses as well. Figure out what the potential cap rate is compared to what the current cap rate is when speaking with the owner. Also you will need to know what the apartment buildings are going for as far as cap rates in your market. Then you can make a fair offer that will hopefully get accepted. But like I said, I havent done this and this is my plan lol. I learn more every day and as soon as I am actually taking action on it I will probably realize I know absolutely nothing.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 22 2022, 06:35

Hi @Crystal Wilson, congratulations!

There are a lot of different options that you have.

You can do some fix and flips to build up capital in order to get into multifamily.

Depending on how much cash you have right now, you could jump into apartments now.

Denver is a higher-priced market so you might need to build up some capital first.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Wilson
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 22 2022, 10:16

@Taylor Dasch Thank you! That sounds like a great plan. It helps me alot just seeing what other people would do and hearing it from a fresh brain even if you are not there yet usaily people like you have the best advice. My first few deals were my best. But yeah ill try and get a hold of these people who own 6+ units.

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Wilson
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 22 2022, 10:18

@Andrew Garcia Thank ya! I might have enough right now. Just trying to see how I find these places I guess just start looking. And analyzing. I might have to look far away since Denver is so crazy right now. But I do want to to some flips. I'm scared of getting screwed over. I have to find a good team.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Miller
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 22 2022, 10:20

Definitely have all your ducks in a row! Congratulations on this next step. Multi Family Millionaire is a great book. 10/10 recommend reading if this is your interest. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 22 2022, 11:07

@Crystal Wilson,

Having the right team is a must. I would connect with some local investors and see who they recommend.

On the multifamily side, you can connect with some commercial real estate brokers to get started.

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jun 22 2022, 13:44

Hello Crystal,

Multifamily is a team game so you should create a team of people who have specific expertise and can add value to the team.

Also you should have a good knowledge of Multifamily.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jun 22 2022, 15:51

@Taylor Dasch if you're going to do fix and flips, be sure to have plenty of meat on the bones and really know your construction costs. You should also planning for a softening market when you calculate your ARV. We're heading in to a tricky time for fix and flips.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jun 22 2022, 15:57

@Crystal Wilson- thanks - if you cash in hand  is ample to  do 100% of what you want to do - great ....however if you think you  might need financing for any new acquistions - you  should get a  full loan pre approval in place  for  whatever hypotehtical  scenario  you see as  being  your next realistic   step ...you can then be sure you have  financing in place and you can also become aware of these  numbers ...