Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Zack Bian
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
HELP! How to deal with a serial squatter?

Zack Bian
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jun 25 2022, 01:29

Hi all, new investor here. Bought my second foreclosure home on the courthouse steps and had a bumpy but nevertheless successful renovation. After the first day being listed, my agent discovered that a squatter has taken up residence. My agent called the cops and they came and got the guy out. Turns out it's the previous owner that just got released from prison. He was only at the house for about 1 day, but not before kicking down the door and doing some damage to the house (about 2-3k worth through kicked down doors, flooring, and bathroom damage). The police arrested him and I pressed charges. After fixing the house back up again about a week and half later, my agent once more went to the house and found the same squatter inside! This time he changed the locks too. Once again I called the cops and they came and got him.

This time he also completely broke the back door. What really baffled me is when I asked the cops how I can prevent this from happening again, and they basically said there's nothing they can do?? In Texas trespassing is only a misdemeanor which means they don't have to remain in jail until trial. This guy is a bit mentally off as he has had crazy history with the cops. Has anyone ever had experience with crazy squatters like this? What are my options? He's only come twice but I'm afraid this will continue until the trial date and each time he comes he will do more damage. Do note I live quite a bit from the property and usually have an agent inspect it and take pictures. Right now I've set up security cameras but I'm not sure how effective they will be since it seems like this person just does not care and will happily get arrested as it doesn't seem to be doing much.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jun 25 2022, 05:05

Keep having him thrown in jail and see if you can get a restraining order or something.  It probably doesn't help that the home is vacant. If there was someone living there, he probably wouldn't break in.