• Benson, MN
Votes |
Untaxed Capital Gains

Brady Ascheman
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Benson, MN
Posted Jun 29 2022, 11:10

Hi everyone, I was listening to the bigger pockets podcast and I thought I heard Brandon Turner say that if you flip a house that you own as your primary home for two years that the gain you make on the sale is untaxed? Can anybody verify this or did I hear him wrong?

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 29 2022, 12:29

If it was your primary first, and you lived in it the entire time as your primary, the first $250k (single) or $500k (married) of gains are tax free. If it was your primary first and 2 of the last 5 years you’ll only owe depreciation recapture. If it was a rental  first and you lived in it 2 of the last 5 years then you only get the percent of time it was your primary tax free. 

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 29 2022, 20:12

Section 121 exclusion - Allows you to exclude $250,000  / $500,000(if married) if you own and live in the house for 2 out of the last 5 years.
Potential taxes may result if your gain is higher than the above amounts or you treated the property as a rental at anytime.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes