Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Marcus R.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Votes |
Tax deductions for pets used in real estate business?

Marcus R.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO
Posted Jul 5 2022, 11:27

This is a bit of a weird question but under any structure (Sole prop, LLC, etc...) does anyone write off pet expenses if your pet is legitimately used in your business? I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I've heard of some pretty extreme tax deductions so figured it's worth asking.

My thought is…if you niche is pet friendly rentals (multiple pets allowed, no breed restrictions, low monthly pet fee, majority of tenants have pets, close to dog parks, etc..) and you use your pet to advertise your rentals through daily social media posts and can validate the hours “worked” by the pet for filming and posting content then perhaps the pet expenses can be deducted.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Williams
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver
Replied Jul 5 2022, 13:20

Hi @Marcus R., I honestly have no idea, but I love the concept haha! People write off anything and with pets being widely loved by our country/state, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some rights out there that your pets could exercise! would love for some CPA's to chime in!

• Real Estate Agent CO (#FA100094785)

R&R Real Estate Services LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Jul 5 2022, 14:24

Let me know how it works for you .   Sounds like a red flag to me 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.