• Real Estate Consultant
  • Paramus, NJ
Votes |
Zombie,Ghost and Abandoned Co-Ops and Condos in NYC

Reetesh Sood
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Paramus, NJ
Posted Jul 5 2022, 15:31

Hello, Does any one have any experience in locating abandoned CO-Ops/Condos in NYC? I have a few projects and there is no Banks and or Homeowners listed on the units. How can I get them to my investors? Any direction would help. Also these units have been abandoned for 5-10yrs.

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 6 2022, 08:25

Hey @Reetesh Sood - I would suggest maybe working with a local realtor or even a property management company who can look into the specific units further. 

Are the units located in Manhattan? If so, then I recommend an agent that exclusively works in Manhattan (Manhattan uses their own MLS).

If the units are located in the other boroughs, shoot me a DM and I can try and dig deeper thanks. 

User Stats

Votes
Reetesh Sood
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Paramus, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Paramus, NJ
Replied Jul 6 2022, 08:51

Hey Mohammed, Thanks I'm the realtor in NY and the PM has no idea who the Bank or where the owner is. The units have been in foreclosure for almost 10yrs. The PMs are just renting them out.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Harlie Hague
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jul 7 2022, 07:48

I worked in acquisitions for quite some time (predominantly in the 5 boroughs), and if the homes are in foreclosure you can search for the foreclosure case on NYSCEF. Once you find the case you’ll be able to see the original deed, title, mortgage etc within the court documents filed by the attorneys involved. If you’re having trouble locating the individuals who originally owned the property I suggest using Enformion to do a skip trace search for possible heirs and relatives. I hope this helps! I’m new to the bigger pockets community hence the reason my profile is a bit drab but I look forward to hearing how this plays out!

User Stats

Votes
Ecaterina Katerina Morosan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jul 7 2022, 08:44

Acris should have all the info. Foreclosure cases should have all the info as well. 

Question: how do PMs rent them out and who the rent payments go to? *interesting*

User Stats

Votes
Reetesh Sood
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Paramus, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Paramus, NJ
Replied Jul 9 2022, 09:22

Interesting! absolutely...The PMs are as crooked as they come. There is a long story of deceit in renting and collecting money. Thank you for your reply.