User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
LTR Dallas-Fort worth area

Brandon Craig
Posted Jul 7 2022, 11:14

Hi All,

Due to the new Airbnb regulations likely putting them hammer in Dallas, I’m backing out of a deal that I was closing on in a week and swapping to LTR. (Follow up to a post the other day about my air bnb deal being in the hood)

Where would the best place for LTR to deploy 50k (by myself) or 100k (partner)?

SFH seem to have very little cash flow, small multi-family are scarce in DFW, and commercial RE has such a high barrier for entry on the down payment side.

Need advice and where to move forward.. do we go far outside DFW? Like Sherman or something? 

Thanks in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Jenna Parker
  • Lender
  • Austin, Tx
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, Tx
Replied Jul 7 2022, 11:47

Sherman and Denison are decent emerging markets for SFR rentals. South DFW suburbs are growing in the rental space (Waxahachie area). The Austin area is growing like crazy and rent is sky high. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
Replied Jul 7 2022, 12:57
Quote from @Jenna Parker:

Sherman and Denison are decent emerging markets for SFR rentals. South DFW suburbs are growing in the rental space (Waxahachie area). The Austin area is growing like crazy and rent is sky high. Best of luck!

What price range would be good for these locations in DFW suberbs?
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adan Velazquez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Waxahachie, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Waxahachie, TX
Replied Jul 7 2022, 13:01

Jenna, 

Have you invested or know anyone who has invested in the Waxahachie area?

User Stats

Votes
Alicia Marks
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jul 7 2022, 13:04

I invest in Johnson County just south of DFW. There's some serious rehab properties you can pick up around $90-110k, but need $70k in rehab. Otherwise you can get rentable properties in the $180k and up pricepoints. I don't know where you'd find 1% rule houses if that's what you're hoping for.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
Replied Jul 7 2022, 13:20
Quote from @Alicia Marks:

I invest in Johnson County just south of DFW. There's some serious rehab properties you can pick up around $90-110k, but need $70k in rehab. Otherwise you can get rentable properties in the $180k and up pricepoints. I don't know where you'd find 1% rule houses if that's what you're hoping for.

Yeah I don’t think 1% is possible anymore in DFW. 

how much cash flow are you getting off those 180k+ properties in that area?

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jul 7 2022, 14:28

City council meeting tonight to discuss AirBnB if you're interested.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
Replied Jul 7 2022, 14:29
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

I was at the barley house meet up in Dallas couple weeks ago with council members and alliance. Also was on the webex call today listening to the debates.

it doesnt look good for air bnb. 

User Stats

Votes
Jenna Parker
  • Lender
  • Austin, Tx
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, Tx
Replied Jul 7 2022, 14:35
Quote from @Brandon Craig:

What price range would be good for these locations in DFW suberbs?

In terms of a down payment? $75k might be ideal but you could probably get away with $50k and have a decently cash-flowing property.

User Stats

Votes
Jenna Parker
  • Lender
  • Austin, Tx
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, Tx
Replied Jul 7 2022, 14:43
Quote from @Adan Velazquez:

Jenna, 

Have you invested or know anyone who has invested in the Waxahachie area?

Not personally, actually. But I lived in the area for a few years and noticed massive expansion and a surge of renters in many neighborhoods. Plus, I've quoted a few deals in the Waxahachie area that were cash-flowing nicely. I saw someone mentioned Johnson county. That's a good place to look. Also Arlington/Tarrant county.

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied Jul 7 2022, 14:49
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

Dallas? 

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Jul 8 2022, 06:43

@Brandon Craig

I invest in long term rentals in central areas like Arlington and Grand Prairie near major freeways, and in the center of the metroplex. I’ve also got 4 LTR in Ft Worth that do well. I buy around 200k and rent them for $1600-$2200. That’s where the demand is. Starter homes in this range appreciate better. And demand is strongest in this affordable housing range. 250k range will buy you a nice rental that’ll rent for $2100-$2300/month. But don’t pay higher than that because your return won’t be nearly as good. I have zero turnovers because almost all of my tenants won’t ever be able to afford or qualify to buy a house. Turnovers kill profits. And I don’t care about the school district. People aren’t moving into my properties for the school district. Lol. They just want a cheap place to live.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jul 8 2022, 08:41

@Brandon Craig    The "no"s won last night.  Maybe 20-30 alliance members there and very angry it seemed with the results.    @Lucia Rushton  Yes ...City of Dallas.   City of Fort Worth had public comments 2-3 weeks ago.  It was about 50/50 in favor or against from the citizen speakers.    I'm guessing Ft. Worth will not change their current ordinance.  Not sure when council actually votes, maybe next session.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
Replied Jul 8 2022, 08:52
Quote from @John Morgan:

@Brandon Craig

I invest in long term rentals in central areas like Arlington and Grand Prairie near major freeways, and in the center of the metroplex. I’ve also got 4 LTR in Ft Worth that do well. I buy around 200k and rent them for $1600-$2200. That’s where the demand is. Starter homes in this range appreciate better. And demand is strongest in this affordable housing range. 250k range will buy you a nice rental that’ll rent for $2100-$2300/month. But don’t pay higher than that because your return won’t be nearly as good. I have zero turnovers because almost all of my tenants won’t ever be able to afford or qualify to buy a house. Turnovers kill profits. And I don’t care about the school district. People aren’t moving into my properties for the school district. Lol. They just want a cheap place to live.Sl

you're talking about SFH right? how old are the homes? Do you have a lot of cap ex issues? What is your cash flow looking like for one of those 200k homes? I assume they are C-D class?

thanks in advance I may look into those areas I grew up in Arlington

User Stats

Votes
Alicia Marks
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jul 8 2022, 11:44
Quote from @Alicia Marks:

Yeah I don’t think 1% is possible anymore in DFW. 

how much cash flow are you getting off those 180k+ properties in that area?

Depends, I sold one this morning because it was only going to do $75/ door with the new tax increase. I have a duplex doing $225/ door that I BRRRd an extra $15k out of in March before rates went up.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
Replied Jul 8 2022, 13:00
Quote from @John Morgan:

@Brandon Craig

I invest in long term rentals in central areas like Arlington and Grand Prairie near major freeways, and in the center of the metroplex. I’ve also got 4 LTR in Ft Worth that do well. I buy around 200k and rent them for $1600-$2200. That’s where the demand is. Starter homes in this range appreciate better. And demand is strongest in this affordable housing range. 250k range will buy you a nice rental that’ll rent for $2100-$2300/month. But don’t pay higher than that because your return won’t be nearly as good. I have zero turnovers because almost all of my tenants won’t ever be able to afford or qualify to buy a house. Turnovers kill profits. And I don’t care about the school district. People aren’t moving into my properties for the school district. Lol. They just want a cheap place to live.

Also what price per square foot do you aim for. I ran cash flow calculator on a couple in grab prairie for sale included 5% capex, 5% vacancy and 5% maintenance. One is $179/sqft other $162/sqft. Both looked like 200-300/m of cash flow for 4-6% CoC.

Area showed rent 2-2.2k/m. 

what CoC is realistic in your experience of the areas you mentioned you invest in?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Solis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex
Replied Jul 9 2022, 12:08

@Brandon Craig Have you looked into off market deals? There’s a bunch out there where the numbers make sense if you’re willing to buy something that needs work.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2022, 15:20
Quote from @Matt Solis:

@Brandon Craig Have you looked into off market deals? There’s a bunch out there where the numbers make sense if you’re willing to buy something that needs work.

How do I access off market deals?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Craig
Votes |
Replied Jul 11 2022, 07:00
Quote from @Devin Bray:

@Matt Solis Thank you for the recommendation! 

@Brandon Craig I get 10-15 off market deals a week all well below market value in Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower mound, Denton,  Little Elm, Prosper, Aubrey, Pilot Point, Sherman, Denison, Gainesville, and Whitesboro. I get everything from single family, multi family, raw land, and in all rehab levels. I'd love to connect with you and tell you more about New Western and our off market deals!

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I am in a weird spot. I already have a realtor who is primarily focused on airbnb investments in Dallas, but ours fell through due to the potential ban, so i've now moved to LTR.

He doesn't have any systems setup for off market deals like you do, and doesn't really focus on LTR anyways. I don't think it's right to jump ship with him for another realtor after the help he's provided. 

What is best practice in these scenarios?

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Jul 11 2022, 08:41
Quote from @Devin Bray:

@Matt Solis Thank you for the recommendation! 

@Brandon Craig I get 10-15 off market deals a week all well below market value in Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower mound, Denton,  Little Elm, Prosper, Aubrey, Pilot Point, Sherman, Denison, Gainesville, and Whitesboro. I get everything from single family, multi family, raw land, and in all rehab levels. I'd love to connect with you and tell you more about New Western and our off market deals!

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I am in a weird spot. I already have a realtor who is primarily focused on airbnb investments in Dallas, but ours fell through due to the potential ban, so i've now moved to LTR.

He doesn't have any systems setup for off market deals like you do, and doesn't really focus on LTR anyways. I don't think it's right to jump ship with him for another realtor after the help he's provided. 

What is best practice in these scenarios?
I always go with the listing agents. It’s so much easier. Ditch your agent and do it this way. Plus the listing agent usually gives you great info to help base your offer on. And they’ll show it to you on a moments notice and bend over backwards to sell it to you so they’ll get full commission. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Mccaw
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Replied Jul 11 2022, 09:04

@Brandon Craig a traditional real estate agent is not going to be much help with off-market deals. Most don't understand that world. Wholesalers are plenty. But it is a wild west kind of world. So be certain on your comps and rehab estimates. If you use a good hard money lender they will help keep you from overpaying. And only use contractors that are highly recommended by someone that has actually used them.

• Property Manager TX (#0562767)

McCaw Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 13 2022, 10:00
Quote from @Matt Solis:

How do I access off market deals?

You get in touch with someone like me