• New York City
Votes |
NY-ISH STR Picks and rationale

Alex Lee
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • New York City
Posted Jul 21 2022, 04:39

So, a debate popped up between family and friends, and I'm curious to know your thoughts. We have:

1. Upstate NY

2. Long Island

3. New Jersey

4. Pennsylvania (debate went between Philly, Bristol Area, and then Poconos--but for the sake of this post figure I'll clump it into 1)

If you had to pick up a STR, which area would it be and why?

If you had to pick a place for LTR which area would it be and why?

User Stats

Votes
Anastasia G.
  • Lender
  • NJ NY PA CT GA FL, Puerto Rico
Votes |
  • Lender
  • NJ NY PA CT GA FL, Puerto Rico
Replied Jul 21 2022, 05:32

@Alex Lee 

STR - most STR friendly area

LTR - most landlord friendly state and difficulty of evection process..

It is not only about the cash flow - which is a "positive", but also how much can it cost to run your operations.. that's were local laws, rules, regulations come into place...

User Stats

Votes
Davis Stoner
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NE PA, N. NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NE PA, N. NJ
Replied Jul 21 2022, 05:53

Personally I would do STR in upstate NY. Long term rentals I would do PA. Like @Anastasia G. said, the laws and taxes brought me to PA for long term rentals. Specifically, the lower property taxes and tenant landlord laws (compared to NJ and NY). Also, the Poconos STR market seems to be very oversaturated at the moment, with the possibility of STR's being banned in certain towns/neighborhoods. 

For an Upstate STR I would try and find something either close to a train line (for NYC people who don't have cars). Or I would go up to a Lake George or out to the catskills where I think they embrace STR's because of the money it brings in to the local business. I have not looked into owning in LI, but I can imagine it is pretty pricey with high taxes, but a summer rental in the Hamptons would probably go for a high price weekly as long as the town allows it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex Lee
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • New York City
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • New York City
Replied Jul 21 2022, 06:03

I actually dismissed Long Island but they brought up a good point--outside of the Hamptons--there are vineyards, orchards, farms etc. that families etc like to visit for the weekend. I don't know that it would necessarily make financial sense in comparison to the other options, but I'm doing some digging to see if things are actually decent.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Lawrence
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Chester, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Chester, PA
Replied Jul 21 2022, 06:30

I help people invest in the Philly suburbs if you would like to connect and chat about it!  You can get decent returns if you find the right deal.